werid situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes_1696

Reaction score
well i was out geting my stuff ready to start a batch and my son was with me well he got into my cold box and took the airlock and stoper out of one of my batches with wouldnt of bothered me until i seen the gum wrappers from about 6 or 7 pieces of gum and about four floating which i got out. it still has 2 months before i can bottle it should i rack it off to another carboy or should i see how it turns out. kinda confused to as what to do? so any advice would help.

Well, on the bright side, a few gum wrappers shouldn't to much to your beer. If anything, you've got some extra fermentable sugar in there.

I guess taking the wrappers out would probably be the best thing to do, but if that's not a possibility, leaving them in there shouldn't kill your beer. Time will tell.

First thing if I were you is use punctuation and capital letters so people can read what you type. ;)

If I'm understanding what you're saying, it's already done. I'd probably rack it off so long as it doesn't need to sit on a yeast cake longer or something, but leaving it probably won't be any more dangerous. The stuff's in there... it's not going to leach chemicals if it sits longer, it's already transferred any bacteria it's going to. I'd say it's up to you either way.

I understand just not really use to typeing in forums like that. I am just going to bottle it tomorrow just in case so it dont give an yummy spearment off that in an stout.

if your over 5% ide say your fine. I don't have anything to back that up but im always much more comfortable over contamination issues when my beer is >5...how long has it been sitting? and whats the fg?

The SG was 1.085 and the final was 1.020. so if it is >5 you have a higher chance for contamination?

No. The higher the ABV (alcohol by volume) the less friendly the environment is to other organisms. So, in your situation using a rough calculation I use from Papazian that converts to ABW then ABV, I would take your OG, subtract the FG and mulitply that number by 1000 (1.085 - 1.020 = .065 * 1000 = 65) Now mulitply that by the conversion factor of .13125 to get a rough ABV (65 * .13125 = 8.5 %ABV)

Almost nothing will live in the environment you have at 8.5%ABV

As for the spearmint stout, I'm not convinced it would be horrible. I thought vanilla porter was going to be nasty, I was wrong. Maybe that hint of spearmint is the next new thing in beer?

lol true, i never use that calculateion i always made a rough estimate and by falling down rate:
2 beers= 10+% ABV
4 beers=9% ABV
6 beers=7.5%ABV
8 beers=5.5% ABV
+12 beers= Macro swill

yeah I know, But I really wanted to know how the gum wrappers got in there besides the obvious. Just wondering what else was in the rest of the batches.:confused:

Back