Wells Bombardier: Satanic Mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
Looking for a clone recipe of this.

Anyone know where I might be able to find it.

Thanks

Tim

Good luck. It seems this is not a very widely distributed brew outside of England. Its all I drink whenever I'm in England for business but I've never found it in the US.

L I N K

So far this the only help I have received.

The beer is a 'tweener, between an Ale and a Porter. Maybe with some help I can come up with a grain bill.

I have been wanting to come up with a thick, rich, dark, and chocolaty ale to pair with a cigar while I smoke. Maybe this is my chance.

So what I need is a strat somewhere in the middle of an Ale and a Porter.....

BBL

Tim

I'm flying blind here as I have never had the beer in question. You could try starting with Jamil's Dark Mild (Brewing Classic Styles) and and tweaking it. He uses pale chocolate - switch that to normal chocolate. Maybe add a little brown malt (more of a tawny porter) and bump the gravity up to get 5%abv. Just some ideas. Hopefully once the holidays are over you get a better response on the UK forum.

I would have to see the the recipe, I really need to pick up some brewing books.

From what you stated it would need to be kicked up a bit, looking for about 6.5 - 7%.

I started a thread here...LINK but I am still not sure this is right.

I have never used wheat, but it seems to be a bit too much for a non-wheat beer.

Tim

Some of Jamil's recipes are on-line but I highly recommend his book. Check out his dark mild recipe (link). You could brew that while increasing the gravity. The recipe you linked to does have (IMHO) too much wheat.

I am trying to rework the grain bill.

Like I said I have no experience using wheat. Not sure if I need wheat malt, or if I could use a wheat adj to get the foam that I want.

Tim

This is the most information I've ever found on this brew:
How it's made: Ingredients and Story - Wells Bombardier

The hops are Challenger and Goldings, and the abv is 5.2%. They also mention the presence of Cystal malts (duh) though not much else. Based on this I would imagine a simple grain bill consisting of MO and crystal 40.

Edit: Oops, I failed to notice Satanic Mills. The link I posted of course refers to the original bombardier.

Back