Well, this pale ale kolsch should be interesting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
Since my stepdad's never made an all grain brew before, I decided to 'treat' him to it by bringing down all my gear and making a few batches this weekend! I brewed up a nice ruination IPA and everything went by the numbers. The next day went to make my kolsh. I used EdWort's Recipe, all the grain nice and crushed and ready to go. 7 lbs of 2 row Pils Malt and 2.5 lbs of Wheat Malt. Now, where'd I put those Perle and Tettnanger hops.... hmmm.... OH that's right! Right on the kitchen counter! At home. A three hour drive away. *(@&#$^!!!

So I ask stepdad what kind of hops he's got that I could sub in. 3 lbs of Cascade. Oh and 9 oz of Cascade. The LHBS isn't open on Sundays and Mondays, plus it's an hour drive each way anyways. Hmm..... I could either skip this brew until I get the right hops, or use the cascade. F that I'm brewing anyways! I added 1 oz of homegrown cascade for 60 minute boil, 1 oz for 15 minutes, and 1 oz at flameout. Even with a 2 hour boil I still didn't get it down to 5 gallons (ended up with 7), but that's OK because instead of hitting 70% efficiency I hit 82%! I have a feeling this'll be a perfect summer beer. Especially with 7 gallons of it to choke down :D

Mike! We sure miss you in the chat. You missed out on a real winner last night. He was ... speshul. OG was at 1.044, so it'll have a kinda low ABV. Which is fine, I was wanting to make a lighter quaffing beer anyways, and this'll fit the bill. The bucket's now happily gurgling away in my room, probably spilling ooze all over the place.

Yep a few lbs of Cascades. He has a bunch of cascade bines that they've had for a few years and keep getting great yields off of them. Last year he didn't think he'd possibly use more than 4 lbs before they went bad so he left the rest of them to rot in the field.

*collective gasp*

I've since educated him on our present hop shortage. This year we'll get ALL of them, and you'll soon see craigslist ads with me selling hops for reasonable rates ;)

Let me know how it turns out, I was going to try some cascade in my next "Kolsch"
I would think the fruitiness of the Kolsch yeast and the citrisy smell of the cascade would go great together.

if your father's cascade are pretty good, skip craigslist and sell it here?
ill buy!

EvilTOJ said:
I've since educated him on our present hop shortage. This year we'll get ALL of them, and you'll soon see craigslist ads with me selling hops for reasonable rates ;)

Do let us know when those are ready!

I used the Long Trail Kolsch recipe from the North American Clones Brews book and substituted cascades for the flavor hops in the recipe. It turned out AMAZING!!! I miss that beer...

Back