Well the fishing has slowed and I broke the Jeep so I time to work up another batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5WTFLYBUM

Reaction score
Well as it says I broke the Jeep the last time out so it sits, and the fishing sucks right now so not that it is a consolation prize but I now have time to get back to start up another batch. I am wondering if mixing some nutrient into the the juice and sugar to start the new batch off?
The last and my first batch turned out to be slightly vinegary at first. I let it set for a while and last weekend I got some out. What a difference! It smells like you walked into and apple press. It is slightly carbonated, just enough to leave bubbles on the side of the glass. It tastes like apple and is slightly sweet, not quite enough though. All in all not bad for a first try. I am letting the rest set for a little longer.
I have decided to try and start a new batch every two months and figured that since it needs about 3 months to be ready I figured I would get ahead of the game. I would like to start in on beer at some point as well however until the money for the pots comes in I am staying with cider. I will continue with it after I start the beer, it will just be a little less often as I do prefer beer.
The last cider I used Mangrove Jack's cider yeast and I learned quite a bit. It is good after it has sat a while. This time I am using M2, I do not know a make. I am also using a 100% apple juice, no preservatives of course, that I got in gal jugs at Safeway. I am more than likely going to start tomorrow or Wednesday. So wish me luck.

I am in N. Cal or as I call it "The PRK." That is The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. The lack of rain has put a hurting on the fishing, especially the Steelhead. We have had some rain now in the last week. And I am watching the local reports if they turn on I will be out there 8wt in hand.

Well It turned out that I didn't have the M2 or M02 what ever it is I thought that I had picked up so it's Mangrove Jacks' again.

I forgot about this thread. Yep, prk, that has been part of my vocab for a long time. Up north is OK. Had some good times up north.

How did the mangrove jack go last time?

The Mangrove Jacks is good stuff. I ferments kinda quick. About 5 days. It likes the temp 65 - 70 degrees. It is also very aromatic. Smells great during the ferment. It even makes the fridge smell like very appley cider just from the bottles being in there. It seems to be able to produce about a 10% brew as well. It was tasty. Well there are a couple 3 or 4 bottles left. My daughter and I used to like AO but since we did this cant drink it any more. Too sweet for one and it doesn't have near the apple to it.
I agree that NorCal is the better part of the state. I am north and east of Sacramento by about 2.5 hours. We never got enough rain to really bring the fish in. Matter of fact they closed several streams and river for the season before they opened. They are considering closing a few more. We just started getting some green in our winter oat hay fields. I miss the stealheading that I grew up with in Michigan. There are stealhead up there, or at least there was when I was a kid.

Back