Well I know what Guinness Doesn't have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunnerMan

Reaction score
Saw how muhc success someone had with getting an ingredient list from a brewery and in my half druck stupor I decided to email guinness...their reply :p

Thank you for contacting Guinness & Co. regarding nutritional information. Below you will find the
information you have requested for Guinness and Smithwicks.
Guinness Draught
Serving Size: 12 oz
% ABV: 4
Calories /serving: 126
Carbohydrates (g/serving): 10
Protein (g/serving): 1
Fat (g/serving): 0

Guinness Extra Stout
% ABV: 6
Calories /serving: 176
Carbohydrates (g/serving): 14
Protein (g/serving): 3
Fat (g/serving): 0
Does Contain:
- Barley
- Isinglass
Does Not Contain:
- Casein
- Caffeine
- Cream
- Dairy
- Egg
- Honey
- Lactose
- Lard
- Live Yeast
- Maize
- Milk
- Nuts
- Peanut /allergens
- Rice
- Rye
- Soy
- Sugar Cane
- Vegetables
- Wheat

Smithwicks Irish Red
Calories /serving: 150
Carbohydrates (g/serving): 15
Protein (g/serving): 0.00
Fat (g/serving): 0.00
Smithwicks Beer
Carbohydrates (g/serving): 0.00
Smithwicks Irish Ale
Carbohydrates (g/serving): 15
Does Contain:
- hops
- roasted malted barley
- water
- yeast
Does Not Contain:
- Corn
- Maize
- Peanut /allergens
- Wheat
Once again, thank you for contacting Guinness & Co. We look forward to serving you in the future!

So I guess their big secret to Guinness is it does not contain hops. The smithwicks list, compared to the Guinness list is rather short, so I guess smithwicks is some big concoction of rye, milk, lard, and eggs. Also the smithwicks does contain roasted malted barley but no mention of that in the Guinness.

Next to no useful info but it put a smile on my face.

I also do not see anything saying that either brew does not contain rat semen, so clearly both bevereages include them.

Edited: Before someone jumps on me, I friggin love Guinness, and Smithwick's isn't bad either. This was sarcasm.

Heck by process of elimination you are on your way to reverse engineering their recipe. All you have to do now is to build a recipe using everything NOT listed and adjust to proportion.

Perhaps it's dead rats copulating with live rats. Personally, I don't care if it's rats, cats, dogs, or badgers, I just love the stuff.

I've been to Korea. I've eaten worse.

Perhaps it's dead rats copulating with live rats. Personally, I don't care if it's rats, cats, dogs, or badgers, I just love the stuff.

I've been to Korea. I've eaten worse.

Did you really go to a Kigogi house? I did. It was interesting. However after seeing one of the Kigogi farms..... I wish I hadnt.

SO rat crap is what ive been missing! Guess I need to go collect, and roast some.

Latest posts

Back