Well I finally popped my cherry...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...figuratively speaking of course. :)

Overall I think my first attempt at AG was pretty much a success *knocks on wood*. I felt extremely disorganized at times and not everything went as smoothly as I would like, but I guess that stuff is to be expected.

I hit my final boil amount and SG dead freaking on which I'm pretty surprised at tbh. I was 2 degrees too high on my strike, but that was fixed easily with a little cold water. My brand new 10 gallon Igloo MLT dropped all of 1 degree which I'm obviously extremely pleased with. Thanks to all you guys who talked me into the cooler!

There were a few slip-ups as to be expected. My immersion chiller decided to spring a huge leak and sprayed a little water into the wort right at flameout. Not sure if it's neccesary, but I decided to boil the wort another 10 minutes just in case the water had some uglies in it. Is this going to affect the hop profile? I'm assuming it will be a little more bitter and lack a little of the aroma...so should I just dry hop to compensate? (this is the Haus Pale Ale fwiw...thanks Ed!)

Anyways...I rambled on longer than I meant to, but I just had to let you guys know how much I enjoyed my first AG experience. I wouldn't have been able to do it without these forums. Thanks everybody! :mug:

Yeah if you added aroma hops they are all but boiled off at this point. The whole stumbling through it will get easier. I just did my 9th AG batch tonight and it was by far the smoothest yet. It will get smoother and your timing will get better with every batch.

Congrats on your first AG, sounds like it went pretty smooth, and it will get easier with more practice of course, good luck on your future brews.:mug:

Well thank goodness. Your Mother and I were beginning to wonder if... well... you might be one of those wine types. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I got a good amount of hose water into a Belgian Golden Strong I brewed once, renamed the beer to Belgian Hose Water and it tasted great. So you probably would have been okay, but I understand wanting to make sure. You could have just gotten it to boiling and stopped, didn't need 10 mins. Regardless, just do some dry hopping to get that aroma back.

Each AG session becomes a little easier. By the 5th one, I was running on auto pilot.

You could have just gotten it to boiling and stopped, didn't need 10 mins.

You're right...I guess I was a little nervous being my first and all. ;)

Just checked the airlock this morning and it's bubbling away like mad. Looks like I made beer!

Congrats on the first all grain

Didn't need to boil it again little bit of water in 5 gallons of 200° + wort I don't think any nasties would have survived. And people top off with tap water all the time .

Back