Weldworks Juciy Bits NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
I was looking around on "National Homebrew Association" website and came across Weldoworks Juciy Bits NEIPA recipe. Has anyone tried brewing this beer? Reason I ask is I was looking at brewing a similar recipe with a couple minor tweaks to the grain and hop bill, but when I use their hop addition schedule BeerSmith estimates an IBU level of 103 which is much much higher than the 45 listed in the article. My thought was after to flameout to cool the wort down to 180F, turn off the chiller and then start the whirlpool timer from there with the hop additions as shown below to try and reduce the hop utilization. Any thoughts?

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/weldwerks-brewing-juicy-bits-neipa/

Boil Size: 8.41 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.70 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 103.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 88.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type
# %/IBU
4 lbs 8.0 oz Briess Pilsen (1.2 SRM) 36.4 %
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 6.4 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (2.5 SRM) 8.1 %
12.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) 6.1 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (1.5 SRM) 4.0 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (2.0 SRM) 4.0 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) 2.0 %
6.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) 3.0 %
0.33 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min 16.1 IBUs
0.33 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 40.0 min 11.2 IBUs
0.33 oz El Dorado [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 40 min 14.1 IBUs
0.33 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 40.0 min 12.1 IBUs
0.66 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min 9.4 IBUs
0.66 oz El Dorado [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30 min 11.8 IBUs
0.66 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min 10.2 IBUs
1.0 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min 5.4 IBUs
1.0 oz El Dorado [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min 6.8 IBUs
1.0 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min 5.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124. Yeast

Last edited:
No one knows the IBU contribution for a whirlpool at 180. Don't worry about what the calculators say.

I do find that recipe to be an overly complicated hop schedule, but I suppose someone saw value in it.

Ya the dry hopping schedule is normal for this style which is right on par, but I did find another boil hop schedule from the head brewer on beer magazine (see below). It comes out to about 10 less estimated ibus. I think I'm going to try that hop schedule and see how it comes out.

https://beerandbrewing.com/weldwerks-brewing-co-juicy-bits-new-england-style-ipa/

They are actually both from the Brewer. The Zymurgy article just represents a few small tweaks that have been made since the original recipe was published, as well as a few changes to the hop schedule to approximate a homebrew batch that is closer to the original. But both recipes will likely yield good results.

I think it’s a good, albeit flawed recipe. I recently took a stab at one of their other recipes from CB&B and it turned out really good, though the hopping schedule was unnecessarily complicated. There’s no need for a DDH or TDH (and I have no idea how you accomplish them without introducing oxygen). I know they’re going for complexity in the whirlpool but I can’t see how one charge for 30 mins @ 175F would differ very much from the published schedule.

But yes, it turned out quite well:
IMG_1532013352.734426.jpg

They are actually both from the Brewer. The Zymurgy article just represents a few small tweaks that have been made since the original recipe was published, as well as a few changes to the hop schedule to approximate a homebrew batch that is closer to the original. But both recipes will likely yield good results.

@Tarheel4985 Do you find you like what Simcoe adds to beer better than Mosaic?

@Tarheel4985 Do you find you like what Simcoe adds to beer better than Mosaic?

Simcoe has been an interesting hop to come back to. It was a huge component of nearly all the West Coast IPAs I brewed before jumping into New England-style hoppy beers, and after making the switch, I sort of abandoned it altogether until just recently. Lately I have enjoyed using it to balance some of the more tropical fruit character derived from hops like Mosaic and El Dorado with the piney, resiny, and citrusy character imparted by Simcoe. But specifically for a beer like Juicy Bits, which has a clear focus on fruit and "juice" character, Simcoe hasn't played as well. Then again, to each their own...

I think it’s a good, albeit flawed recipe. I recently took a stab at one of their other recipes from CB&B and it turned out really good, though the hopping schedule was unnecessarily complicated. There’s no need for a DDH or TDH (and I have no idea how you accomplish them without introducing oxygen). I know they’re going for complexity in the whirlpool but I can’t see how one charge for 30 mins @ 175F would differ very much from the published schedule.

But yes, it turned out quite well:
View attachment 579827

Im not too concerned of introducing oxygen when dry hopping as there is still a small layer of Co2 sitting on top of the beer in the fermenter. I usually ferment this style of beer i a bucket as this allows me to minimize the height i drop the hops so it pulls in little air (mostly co2) as possible. Most oxidation occurs when transferring to keg which is where you need to be very careful and be sure to purge everything with co2

Im not too concerned of introducing oxygen when dry hopping as there is still a small layer of Co2 sitting on top of the beer in the fermenter. I usually ferment this style of beer i a bucket as this allows me to minimize the height i drop the hops so it pulls in little air (mostly co2) as possible. Most oxidation occurs when transferring to keg which is where you need to be very careful and be sure to purge everything with co2

You do know that there’s air in the hops as well, right?

My point was that there’s diminishing returns in dry hop additions — how much hop aroma could you hope to achieve versus the damage you’re risking due to oxygen ingress? I ferment in a keg, purge the vessel (and tubing), and perform closed transfers, but I would be hesitant to attempt more than one dry hop addition.

You do know that there’s air in the hops as well, right?

My point was that there’s diminishing returns in dry hop additions — how much hop aroma could you hope to achieve versus the damage you’re risking due to oxygen ingress? I ferment in a keg, purge the vessel (and tubing), and perform closed transfers, but I would be hesitant to attempt more than one dry hop addition.

Fewer dry hop additions is a great suggestion for lowerering DO pickup. We use a hop cannon for our DH additions, which makes it much more feasible to spread dry hopping out over multiple additions without picking up too much DO, but the oxygen ingress from similar additions on a homebrew system is likely significantly higher. Try both methods (single DH or multiple) and see which you like best.

Back