Weldless: Oring or Silicone washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
Hey there,
I am getting ready to make a keggle and want to put together the parts for a weldless ball valve install. I see that most all of the people selling the kits are using silicone o rings. Is there any reason not to use a silicone washer instead? Sure seems like it would seal better with more surface area.

I think the main reason I would opt for o-ring over washer/gasket is cost. If you can find me a 10 pack that slip over a 1/2" MPT thread for about $5 I think I'd be all over that.

Anyone found a source for silicone washers like the o-ring supply place frequently linked to? I already called the o-ring place and they don't have silicone washers. I don't think 2.50 each is much of a deal but thats all I can find so far. This would be for 1/2" NPT weldless fittings.

Does it have to be a particular kind or grade of silicone for the washers? I may have some ideas but not sure. Is silicone all the same?

posting on a dead thread, in case others look this way for info.

I had a leaky cooler fitting, from repeated opening closing of the valve bending the plastic around the outlet hole. Essentially, the o-ring had so little surface area pressing against the inner cooler wall, I didn't have a structurally sound connection and the plastic around the hole got compressed from frequent re-tightenings to stop leaks.

As a last ditch effort before having to buy another cooler, I tried a silicone washer from adventures in homebrew (my local store), and the leaks stopped and I had a much stronger structural connection. I would assume doing the same on a kettle would yield positive results, so as long as the wall wasn't too curved. If it is, you might need to silver-solder a shim washer in place to have a flat spot to seal to. Of course, if you are silver soldering a washer, might as well solder a bulkhead in place.

BadWolfBrewing said:
As a last ditch effort before having to buy another cooler, I tried a silicone washer from adventures in homebrew (my local store), and the leaks stopped and I had a much stronger structural connection. I would assume doing the same on a kettle would yield positive results, so as long as the wall wasn't too curved. If it is, you might need to silver-solder a shim washer in place to have a flat spot to seal to. Of course, if you are silver soldering a washer, might as well solder a bulkhead in place.

+1 I have replaced all o-rings in my brewery (with the exception of silicone o-rings inside of compression fittings) with flat silicone washers. Much more reliable seal from the washers.

Sorry for the necro but I'm in the process of building a brew setup and ran across this thread. I haven't actually done this yet but I think I'll try grabbing a silicone cake pan, 5/8" hollow punch and 1" hollow punch and make my own gaskets/washers. I saw it done here on YouTube. After the initial expense of the punches the per gasket cost should be super cheap, and food/temp safe.

Back