Weldless Fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Yes, I searched and got conflicting information.

I am installing a spigot into my new brew kettle. Got that slight leak from the bottom part of the valve where it meets the pan. I've read that my back might be too tight, I've read to tighten it more.

I'm trying a small boil now to see if heat fixes the problem.

Who has sucessfully stopped this sort of leak and how did you do it (besides welding the fitting on :D )?

Thanks in Advance,

McKBrew

I noticed that wrapping some teflon tape around the part that mates against the washer, in my case the ball valve, so that it forms a seal between the two, helps to keep from leaking there. I couldn't tell if that's where you were talking about or not. If your o-ring is on the inside, then put the teflon tape between the washer and the coupler or compression fitting, whatever is next. I never got any kind of leak where the o-ring is.

leaky.jpg

I managed to figure it out. Made sure the inside where I drilled was smooth, went extra crazy with teflon tape, and actually went back under the washer as recommended.

100_5645.jpg

Congrats on getting it fixed.

Based of everything I've seen, there should be an extra O-Ring between the ball valve and the outside of the bulkhead. that way it helps plug the gap from the other side, though it looks like the Teflon tape did the job.

The problem is, even with o-rings on both sides of the kettle wall (that's what I did), if where the washer mates with the next fitting (valve, coupler, compression fitting, etc.) isn't sealed well, liquid can seep through regardless of how well the o-ring is sealing. I'm sure there are other ways, but with every fitting I've done, a little extra teflon tape there seals things right up.

I appreciate the help Sparky. I always thought that just covering the threads with a thin layer of teflon tape would do the trick. But multiple layers and exteding it back past the washer made the difference. Thanks.

Had the exact same problem too. I fixed it by adding a washer between the ball valve and kettle wall. I noticed before I did this, the O-ring looked distorted and bunched up between the inside washer and the kettle wall. I think adding the additional washer on the outside removed some of the kettle's curvature around the hole for the ball valve, thus allowing the o-ring to make an even seal.

Anyhow, glad the teflon tape ended up working out. :mug:

Back