Weldless fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a SanKey keg and may get another to make into a Mash Tun and boil kettle. I have no experience with the weldless fittings I see on Northern Brewer and I was wondering if they would be okay to install in either the vessel as both will have heat applied directly to them. I can't see the weldless fittings, specifically the food grade O-rings holding up under that amount of heat even though the fittings are called "Weldless kettle fittings".

Am I right or are these things okay to use for such purposes? Anyone have any experience with them being good or bad?

I got them from this sight: <http://www.greatbargain.net/order/index.html> for cheaper than elsewhere and installed them in 3 kegs. I love them. No welding and no leaks at all. The O-rings are 100% silicone and can withstand the heat of a direct-heat (burner) system. I got a couple extra O-rings with them in case one broke, but haven't had to use them yet. I would also recommend a step drill bit to make the hole. It makes a perfect hole to whatever size you need and with a little cutting oil, can drill through stainless without much trouble. They aren't cheap ($20-$30+?), but well worth having around as a homebrewer. You never know when you might need it again.

Oh.. one more thing... drill the hole away from the little drain holes in the keg skirt. If flames shoot up through them on the outside of the keg and the weldless fitting is right above it, it might damage the O-rings.

Nostrildamus said:
I can't see the weldless fittings, specifically the food grade O-rings holding up under that amount of heat

I use viton o rings to seal closures in rocket motor casings. They see 600-900 @ 1000psi repeatedly without failure.

In my commercial pressure washer (200*, 3000psi), black rubber orings last about a week, vitons last almost a month.

Either way, you should be FINE for low pressure water at 212*

I think you should make a few calls to local welders just to see what they'd charge you to weld the fittings in directly. If it's really cost prohibitive, go with the weldless. I just wouldn't want to make that decision without finding out first.

Back