Weldless fitting in BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Climber

Reaction score
Obviously many people are using the weldless fitting in their BK. Is there any issues or concerns with using these fitting next to the direct heat of the propane burner? Meaning, do you have any issues with the parts in the valves melting or the handle of the valves melting? Also, I realize we would be using high temp o-rings, but again this is directly next to the side of the BK, with a propane flame just under it....

Before I go and drill a hole in the side of my boil pot, I just want to make sure I am understanding that people are not having issues....

Thx

i use a small piece/sheet of stainless steel and place it under my ball valve when heating..no issues with heating or melting the parts on the vakve.

New_Climber said:
Obviously many people are using the weldless fitting in their BK. Is there any issues or concerns with using these fitting next to the direct heat of the propane burner? Meaning, do you have any issues with the parts in the valves melting or the handle of the valves melting? Also, I realize we would be using high temp o-rings, but again this is directly next to the side of the BK, with a propane flame just under it....

Before I go and drill a hole in the side of my boil pot, I just want to make sure I am understanding that people are not having issues....

Thx

I have melted rubberised bit on the handle of my ball valves a few times. Oops. I've charred some o-rings, too. Obviously one should seek to avoid such problems but they aren't in and of themselves a reason to avoid weldless fittings.

If you're really concerned, get welded fittings, but for me, I've never had any serious problem DESPITE the issues you've pointed out.

BVshield.jpg

Back