Weldless Bulkhead Fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
I installed a "high flow elbow barb kettle bulkhead" from brewhardware.com no complaints with the product, but I ended up installing it a bit high..

So what I have is basically this:
tnelbowbarb.png

My problem is that its about 1/2" off the bottom of the kettle which would leaves me almost a half gallon of wort behind.

Looking through my spare parts bin, I see one of these street elbows:
tn12street.png

I installed it and it ended up being about 1/8" off the bottom of the kettle, which is preferred for the install.

Can I use the street elbow in my BIAB kettle? The threads seem like they would be hard to clean as well as a place for infections to grow, then again once everything is boiled for an hour the infection chances are gone. So cleaning will be more of an issue I believe.

I was also thinking maybe I could take the street elbow and sand off the threads as well, but I am not sure how well stainless would sand down...

Or should I just leave my current bulkhead as is, 1/2" above the bottom of the kettle? I do plan on starting to whirlpool so maybe I dont be losing as much as I would assume??

You nailed it... boiling for an hour; who cares about threads? There are plenty of people using those as diptubes.

Back