welder's oxygen cylinder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it better to have the one with a gauge or not necessary?

To me it's just weird to add oxygen used for welding. But using those disposable tank seens cheaper. Thx all

To me it's just weird to add oxygen used for welding. But using those disposable tank seens cheaper. Thx all

Their is absolutely no difference between medical grade O2 and welding O2. Because Medical O2 is issued by prescription it has to be tracked with a lot number just incase something happens to it's user. The O2 is collected with the same equipment just in different bottles. Anytime you put the word GRADE on a product you can double the price.

Don't give it a second thought.

Being an ironworker that’s all I use. Oxygen, co2 and I refill at welding supply. O2 is o2. Has worked for me with no problems for 10+ years

I use a small (20 cu. ft.) welder's O2 bottle. The initial cost is higher than the disposables, but in the long run, it's cheaper. My small cylinder contains the equivalent of about 18 of those throwaways. Whatever kind of cylinder you choose, it makes no difference. The disposable gas cylinders from Home Despot contain the same gas. It's all oxygen. It will all aerate your beer just fine.

Same here, 20 cf beater cylinder from AirGas with a Western Medical flow meter.

ab_nov_01_2010_04_sm.jpg

I get around 18 months or so out of a fill...

Cheers!

Their is absolutely no difference between medical grade O2 and welding O2. Because Medical O2 is issued by prescription it has to be tracked with a lot number just incase something happens to it's user. The O2 is collected with the same equipment just in different bottles. Anytime you put the word GRADE on a product you can double the price.

Don't give it a second thought.

This statement is absolutely untrue, medical oxygen is much more pure the welding oxygen. Why you would introduce anything but medical grade oxygen into your beer?

^That^ statement is absolutely untrue, the only difference between "medical" O2 and everything else is med O2 requires traceable supply chain documentation and custody from end to end.

Look it up...

Cheers!

I used to sell and deliver it, it's the purity just as with other compressed gases that are used for medical and food grade purposes

And yes there is a paper trail in case someone gets sick

Go ask your local tech diver, or ask me. We used welding 02 for mixed gas diving for years before the gas suppliers got wind of it. Then they required us to purchase uhp/ ultra high purity and charge more. go figure. The two gasses tested out exactly the same, and were decanted from the same source at the store. Only difference is the uhp gas has a paper trail.
Eric

This statement is absolutely untrue, medical oxygen is much more pure the welding oxygen. Why you would introduce anything but medical grade oxygen into your beer?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/15/science/15qna.html

If you don't believe the NYtimes then call any AirnGas company and ask them. Because I have.

https://www.ozonesolutions.com/info/is-medical-oxygen-different

Another article again stating they are the same.

My statement is true and you my friend are misinformed.

Yes I forgot the internet is always correct, my bad

Use whatever you want

I inquired once, from the supplier, as to the differences of the gases.

"None", I was told.
My inquiry dealt with welding oxygen, aviators breathing oxygen, and medical oxygen.

The latter two, I was told , have tighter tolerances on cylinder, ( vessel), condition, as far as cleanliness when filled, ( dusts, etc...), and corrosion, as opposed to welding oxygen cylinders.

Re: Tighter inspection tolerances.

And dust be heavier than oxygen, unless we're talking liquid oxygen. :D

Back