welded coupler for heating element question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
Im drilling the holes for my eherms build and have a question, my step bit goes up to like 1 3/8 which is big enough for the element to fit through but not big enough for the couple to slide through. Can i just have the coupler tig welded to the surface of the keg or do i need the hole big enough for it to slide all the way through?

Not sure about using a coupler. I just had the nut welded to the outside, and it has the groove in it for the gasket so I can put the element in hand tight with no leaks. I have 1/2" couplers that are surface welded to my kettles that work just fine and are very strong. Is there a reason you want couplers instead of nuts?

i used a hole saw not a step bit. went faster and easier. then built the flare tool in the silver soldering thread and it went like gravy. step bits get too hot drilling all those steps in the stainless.

Yes, the coupler can be welded to the outside of the keg. If the hole is large enough for whatever is screwed into the coupler from the outside to pass all of the way through, all is good. If it's close, you may be able to enlarge the hole after welding from the inside with a die grinder for a little more clearance.

Back