Welded bulkhead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exc503

Reaction score
I am going to have a bulkhead welded into my boil pot, but I do not know how far from the bottom to put this, clearly it needs to be low, but is there any convention that is being used so that false bottoms, etc can be used if desired.

You'll need some sort of dip tube on the inside. What you have available will dictate where that bulkhead needs to be.

So--match up whatever dip tube you are going to use and position it; from there you can determine where the bulkhead will be.

If you want to use standard parts, such as I have on my Spike kettle, that could give you an idea. What are you going to use?

You should find the pick up tube and false bottom combo you want to use and go from there. That way you know it's x inches deep and you want it y inches off the bottom for clearance. Then x+y should equal your center point for the female npt.

Back