Welded Ball Valve Components

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlotterbock

Reaction score
Can someone please enlighten me as to what components are needed for a welded ball valve/ bulk head assembly? I see lots of info about weldless but nothing for welded.

I know I'll need a coupling and a valve, but I don't understand what else is needed.

Questions
1) What components are needed for a welded bulkhead/ ball valve assembly?

2) I assume I'll need something to link the coupling to the valve since they are both female threads, and probably a washer or something?

3) What about on the inside of the keg/ brew pot? Will a nipple screw directly into the coupling (I assume I'll need some type of teflon tape).

4) Will a dip tube plug straight into the nipple? Or do I have to make a choice between a dip tube and a nipple.

Basically, you'll need someone (yourself or a welder) to cut a hole and weld in a thru bulkhead stainless steel threaded fitting. This will then allow you to attach a pipe fitting and then extend it w/ a normal valve. no washer should be needed, just get a male end/male end pipe nipple and put some teflon tape on the threads so it seals well. inside the brew pot should just be a welded water tight connection for the through bulkhead fitting. dip tube? Not sure I follow that last question. you mean a thermowell?

This is typically done by welding a coupling to the keg, so it looks like this on the inside:

coupling_inside.jpg

and this on the outside:

coupling_outside.jpg

and then you screw a nipple into the outside:

nipple.jpg

And screw the ball valve onto it.

On the inside of the coupling, you can screw in some fitting that is attached to your dip tube.

Wrap all threads in teflon tape. No o-rings or gaskets are needed.

Thanks Walker. No wonder there isn't a lot of info, it's pretty simple!

Regarding the dip tube question, I thought that was some type brass or SS tubing that you attach to the inside of the coupling, it is bent so it can pull water from the very bottom of the pot. I may be mistaken though.

There's loads of different styles of dip tubes. I use 1/2" copper pieces soldered together in whatever shape I want. They have a 1/2" male threaded copper adapter on the one end. I use weldless, and this screws into my bulkhead, but it would also screw into a 1/2" coupling that was welded on if I had one.

I used the search and landed here so resurrecting this thread. I think I am going to go for a welded bulkhead on my brew kettle, which is a 9 gallon SS pot. I am unclear as to what my options are for the inside of the pot with the coupling?

What I mean to ask is, are most people using some type of filter? Or do you simply whirlpool and then drain?

Right now I whirlpool and use a copper racking cane a buddy made for me to go from kettle to fermenter and I just keep the cane away from the hop cone I created in the middle. I get pretty good results.

Before I have my kettle drilled and welded I want to make sure I know what it looks like to use it in practice.

Back