Welch's wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I have 3 bags and 3 brew buckets ;) . I will need to get more gallon sized carboys though.

Use something in the 3L / half gallon range for the extra, then use that to top up at racking. I have various sizes to keep headspace down, but while it's throwing CO2 that's not as much of a problem.

Got that covered too, Martinellis Apple juice come in 1.5L growler style bottles. I also have a few half gallon growlers too. Plus having different sized bungs allow me to use just about any juice bottle I find. I’ve even resorted to racking into 1gal PETE water bottles for cold crashing since 3 gallon carboys don’t fit in my fridge. As long as I can fit my auto siphon into it I’ll use it.

Try this, from my brewlog;
6/1/19
3 12oz cans old orchard grape fjc. or other concord.
96 oz whelches white grape juice
3 lbs(approx) mixed frozen fruit. Strawberries, blue berries, dark sweet and tart red cherries, blackberries and razzberries. ( puree'd)
1-1/4 tsp super ferment.
3/4 tsp pectic enzyme.

6/2/19 OG 1.120. pitched k1-v1116. half water, half must, room temp starter left for abt an hr.

6/3/19 enough activity to bring puree to top.

6/10/19 stirred daily for 4-5 days. Let sit. Stirred today. Ferment slowed.
Strained/Racked to secondary. Tastes like a commercial red.
Will rack and filter in 1 month.

7/2/19 racked and filtered w/campden

This tastes similar to a cab merlot or carmenere. At least so far. I'll have to wait to see how it ages out.
I love this. I have been wondering about various fruits and fermented beverages. They lose enough character that they come off dry like red wine, if I understand correctly. Any other thoughts or juice types stand out? Thanks.

Ot, thanks OP for recipe and thread. Really enjoyed the 2 year white wine review.

Last edited:
This is my first try at something like this. The fruit was left over from some desserts and I wanted to see what would happen. I plan to try it with one fruit type per brew to see how that comes out.

I’m finishing up a batch that has some tart cherry juice in it. even though it’s just a quart in a 3.5 gallon batch, I can definitely taste the cherry flavor in the sample I took. To the point where I was reminded that I don’t actually like real cherries, but I like the flavor of a cherry jolly rancher lol. I’m hesitant to blend any sweet cherries in to try and offset the tart though.

Fall temps on the way -- next batch firing up mid Sept!

Cheers [emoji111]

I have 3 cans of concentrate and a couple bottles of juice, just waiting for a bucket and carboy set up free up. I think I’m going to blend in some black currant.

I love this. I have been wondering about various fruits and fermented beverages. They lose enough character that they come off dry like red wine, if I understand correctly. Any other thoughts or juice types stand out? Thanks.

Bottled today. So far so good. Stabilized. Added some cane sugar, some teas for tannin and corked them.
The concord has come forward a bit but it's not sitting on top. The fruit blend has it acidic enough to not need additions.

IMG_20190901_172845.jpg The color is nice and dark, I assume due to the fruit skins. I'll know for sure when I bottle my plain Concord in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Anyone else make a larger than 1gal batch of this....like I'm doing? (Mines about 4.5gals)
Started a 6 gallon batch of today.
I've been wanting to do one of these and after reading a post on apple ice wines using FAJC I decided to do this.

6-19-19 concord ice wine
In two gallon bucket
2 cans old orchard concord
96 oz welch's concord
2+ cups sugar
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp nutrient/energizer
Added water to drop OG (was 1.132)
71b yeast
Og 1116
Upped all of this for the 6 gallons, added 3 lbs of cane sugar got an OG of 1.112 (approx). Also swapped the juices for walmart brand, hope I don't regret this decision. Swmbo had some of the first batch at 2 1/2 months and I wound up having to hide a bottle so I can age it. She also complained that I "don't make enough of the good ones."

Started a 6 gallon batch of today.

Upped all of this for the 6 gallons, added 3 lbs of cane sugar got an OG of 1.112 (approx). Also swapped the juices for walmart brand, hope I don't regret this decision. Swmbo had some of the first batch at 2 1/2 months and I wound up having to hide a bottle so I can age it. She also complained that I "don't make enough of the good ones."
Used Wal-Mart brand FGJC for mine....was awesome! Zero regrets [emoji12]

Cheers!

Just finished my last bottle of my 1st batch of 100% Concorde (aka Welches) vino - from 5/6/19. Fantastic first sip till the last [emoji111]

Will be firing up another ~4.5gal batch this weekend...now that fall temps have moved into Michigan.

Cheers [emoji16]

Anyone done post fermentation flavor tweaks to ur basic Welch's? Gonna jalapeno up a few bottles this batch.

Cheers [emoji111]

I threw a bunch of frozen berries and cherries at a 1 gallon batch. It turned out pretty decent. Strong/heavy flavor but good. Kinda like a carmenere or cab merlot.

Anyone ever "Jack" up some of ur Welch's vino?

I may venture down this path with some of this batch once ferment is complete.

Cheers [emoji111]

Anyone ever "Jack" up some of ur Welch's vino?

I may venture down this path with some of this batch once ferment is complete.

Cheers [emoji111]

Are you talking about fortifying it with some brandy? I think that's done before fermentation is complete. (it's almost complete) You want at least a little sweetness left to offset the high alcohol, and the added alcohol arrests the fermentation.

No, I've never done it :)

Are you talking about fortifying it with some brandy? I think that's done before fermentation is complete. (it's almost complete) You want at least a little sweetness left to offset the high alcohol, and the added alcohol arrests the fermentation.

No, I've never done it :)
Nope -- freeze concentrating....like Apple Jack [emoji111]

I just racked 4 gallons that's about done to a new carboy, and added 5 Campden tablets. Not sure how long I should let it age before I bottle it; will probably go a month. This was 5 bottles of Aldi's Concord grape juice and 3 bottles of Aldi white grape juice, plus however much sugar it took to get to 22 brix (I should write stuff like that down because I never can remember) Fermax yeast nutrient and BV7 yeast. The BV7 seems to be taking a lot of the color with it as it drops out of suspension, so this will be kind of a rosé even tho' it was dark purple at the start.

At the first racking I had about a pint left in the bottom of the bucket, so I dumped it crud-and-all into a mason jar and put it in the fridge for a couple days to cold crash. It tasted pretty good when it cleared. I could have stabilized it right then and bottled it a week later and been happy with it.

I just bottled the wine (and drank a big glass of it) It's a nice rosé, just a little redder than a white zinfandel. I like it! The flavor is light and it has a nice aroma. I bet you'd get a pink wine with this yeast using straight concord juice. I put some of it up in clear bottles; I'll try to get a pic and attach it this afternoon.

Latest batch of my hobo vino via D47 ready for cold crashing [emoji12] 28days in the low to mid 60s -- ABV 13.1%. Tastes awesome!

Cheers [emoji111]

1102191127.jpeg

Latest batch of my hobo vino via D47 ready for cold crashing [emoji12] 28days in the low to mid 60s -- ABV 13.1%. Tastes awesome!

Cheers [emoji111]

View attachment 650817
Put 24oz aside...tossed 4 jalapeno slices in and let it sit for 24hrs - swirling occasionally. Wow does this taste awesome! Hobo Bonfire [emoji111]

Who's making some? Let's hear from ALL the Concorde Grape vino fans [emoji12]

I've got about 2gals left from my last batch....sitting in my 20L Speidel...which I use to serve up this awesome vino one delish glass at a time.

I just procured 15 cans FGJC from Wal-Mart for my next batch -- and gonna use 100% Concorde Grape (3gals) from Aldi this time [emoji106]

Cheers [emoji111]

Last edited:
I was going to do a Welch next, but I got a 6gal Cabernet kit during a holiday sale, so that will prob come first. Though I might just do a few small batches to try different yeasts first. So many things I want to make, but limiteD on carboys and space. I still have 16lbs of strawberries and about 10lbs of a locally grown mystery grape in my freezer.

Just bottled about 7 gallons last week. I won't be doing another batch till after I move and get settled in. So around end of Feb, beginning of March I'm guessing.

Who's making some? Let's hear from ALL the Concorde Grape vino fans [emoji12]

I've got about 2gals left from my last batch....sitting in my 20L Speidel...which I use to serve up this awesome vino one delish glass at a time.

I just procured 15 cans FGJC from Wal-Mart for my next batch -- and gonna use 100% Concorde Grape (3gals) from Aldi this time [emoji106]

Cheers [emoji111]
Finally just started this new batch -- as I call it >>> Igor's Diabolical Uva Potion

Cheers [emoji111]

How clear is clear for Welchs red? Mine has been sitting around for almost month.. I can't see threw the carboy like i've seen in other pictures.. but most I see in this thread I would be it similiar darkness... Should a welchs red clear crystal clear like in some photos i've seen? Thanks

How clear is clear for Welchs red? Mine has been sitting around for almost month.. I can't see threw the carboy like i've seen in other pictures.. but most I see in this thread I would be it similiar darkness... Should a welchs red clear crystal clear like in some photos i've seen? Thanks
I've Never had mine go crystal clear & am fine with it[emoji106]

Back