Welch's Wine, restarted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMI

Reaction score
I started a 6 gal batch of Welch's wine on 10/1/17. I used Lavlin 71B-1122 for yeast. I tried fermenting in the primary like one of the recipes I found said. It was messy. I apparently didn't write down the S.G. on this one. It's been fermenting away since October, no issues. Took off like a rocket.

It never finished, it started to slow down, but not to the point that I got to racking it. It's been in a cool closet since October. Might have been a bit cooler than ideal (low 60's possibly). We had a warm up this past week and it foamed up (1/4" ring of foam + active bubbles) and started bubbling like crazy. I sampled it and the gravity was 1.20. It has no funky smells. The other wines in the same closet seem to be doing fine. I have a 5 gal batch of chokecherry that is slow also, but not as slow as the Welch's.

What should I do? Move it to a warmer spot? Add more yeast? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

I'm sorry, it is 1.02, that was a typo. Would diluting it a bit help possibly?

I'll move it closer to the stove and see if it gets happier - Thanks SleepyCreekBrews.

Bring it up to regular room temperature and see what happens and if its not fermenting, go ahead and taste it.

1.02 isn't even close to dry. If your starting SG was high, it could be done fermenting. Yeast can only do so much. Warming will help, but keep your eye on the SG, you might see bubbles that are not fermentation but may simply be gas escaping due to warmth.

Back