Welches grape

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridenour64

Reaction score
I've been makin welches grape from frozen concentrate. I wanted to just start using the bottled juice. It would be easier. But I read on the ingredients that it contains k-meta. Could I still get a fermentation going or should I not even waste my time?

You can ferment anything with sugar in it if you know what to do. I just started a batch of Welch's white grape juice and it has k-meta in it. All I did was start my yeast in a canning jar 3/4 full of water, 1 tsp honey & a pinch of yeast nutrient. After 24 hours I added some nutrient and acid blend to my juice. Mixed really good, removed enough juice to make room for the yeast starter and then pitched the yeast. Within the hour it was rolling.

My batch was a smaller 1/2 gallon batch so it is easy to start. If you are doing like a 3 or 5 gallon batch. While you are starting the yeast. Add all the juice to the carboy and mix really well with just your nutrients and any other additives like sugar, tannin.... What ever your recipe calls for. Over that 24 hour period while the yeast is starting most of the sulfites will gas off through the airlock. That will help in getting things started.

Just what I needed! Thanks a lot. I'm making a 3 gal batch. I hate how welches sells then by 96 oz. just so they can make us buy another one haha.

How long do you usually wait from start to finish to drink these welches wines? And do you back sweeten. I waited about 3 months for my concord and it's ok. I might have added to much acid blend or something. A little bitter. But it's not bad.

I normally use concentrate white grape peach for my serious batches. With that recipe I drink it with gusto just after 30 days. I don't back sweeten that one as well but I think the peach does really well dry. My little current batch is actually only being used to cultivate more yeast for a different batch lol. As with any wine it will get amazingly better with time but while I wait the long 6-12 months in between my mead batches the Welch's wines can be had in just over 30 days if done well.

On your concord if it was bitter, did you add tannin? Too much tannins added can do that.

I think I did add tannin as well. I think On my next batch I'm going to cut out most off the ingredients, and just stick to the basics and see what I get. I want to start making other stuff as well but I just wanna master the process before I start spending more money.

Would you wanna post your recipe, or do you just follow yoopers recipe also?

If the only preservative is K meta then you should be able to get it going, if it has benzoate or something like that then you probably wont have much success, I did one last concentrate wine a few months ago(its still bulk aging)They turn out okay and you can add a few others things here and there too improve them but for the most part they aren't anything too special. They do make for a pretty cheap buzz though.

Do you guys have an recommendations for a next batch? I've already made apfelwein. A little more hands on (not too crazy) and is drinkable in like 6 months maybe a little more? I've thought about making some mead. I just want to find one recipe that I really like. And Is pretty strong for a nice buzz.

My apfelwein is still going btw. It's been in the carboy for about 5 months. I'm not sure on how much longer too keep it going. I want it to turn out great tho.

I have always wanted to make a blueberry mead but never really got around too it, I have one concentrateish wine in bulk age and I have a kit beer going right now in primary..... The thing about the blueberry mead is, it would cost me a fortune to make a 5 gallon batch and if turned out bad I would be kicking myself for spending all that money on a bust.

That's exactly why I have stuck with concentrate wines so far. I could easily spend a bunch of money and make something crazy. But to weight a year and find out it tastes bad or didn't work. That would be so upsetting haha.

I totally feel your pain, I have only had to dump one wine batch in my whole amateur wine making career and it was a pineapple wine that I made out of dole juice, I just couldn't get the gas flavor out no matter what I did(copper, wipping, etc...) It costs me at least 30 dollars if not more for the ingredients and I could have easily picked up a beer kit or put that money towards a wine kit.....30 dollars is a lot when you are a poor college kid.

One bad batch doesn't sound bad, assuming you've made a decent amount.

I think I did add tannin as well. I think On my next batch I'm going to cut out most off the ingredients, and just stick to the basics and see what I get. I want to start making other stuff as well but I just wanna master the process before I start spending more money.

Would you wanna post your recipe, or do you just follow yoopers recipe also?

Yooper has a great recipe that is different than mine. I would not call what I do as any better than Yooper's recipe but I imagine mine be a little heavier bodied and I like it a lot.

1 gallon recipe

4 11.5oz Welch's frozen concentrate (any flavor works but I like white grape peach)
1 TBS of black or herbal tea (I like earl grey)
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Yeast (I like to use lalvin 71b)

All ingredients are thrown in at once. Aerate really well. Rehydrate yeast per package directions and then pitch yeast.

I give this 2 weeks to ferment at about 70*F. Then I throw the jar in the fridge for another 2 weeks. At that point you can bottle the clear liquid and get 4 750 ml wine bottles safely without sucking up the lees.

Do you degas that at all? Yeah I was only using 2 concentrates per gallon. I bet yours does have a lot more body. I'm gonna try that!

No added sugar also. I like that. Do you know what percent this ends at?

Yea had to look at past notes but for the white grape peach it had a gravity of 1.08. So about a 11% ABV fermented dry. I have not degassed at all but I am sure it would clear a bit quicker if you did.

Ok I'm gonna start this today in my 3 gallon carboy. Do you thinkI can add all 12 of the concentrates. Put some water until the carboy is like 3/4 full. And then after heavy fermentation. Top off with the rest of the water? I don't want to top off right away so it doesn't bubble over.

Yea you could do that. The gravity should not be too high. Just with the reduced water I would at least try and keep the gravity under 1.100 so as to not stress your yeast too much. Doing a 3 gallon batch will be harder to cold crash like I do with my 1 gallon batches but with racking and degassing this could still be clear in 45-60 days I bet.

I have an extra fridge in my basement that I could stuff the 3 gal carboy in and cold crash. So that won't be a problem. I do not have a hydrometer at the moment because I keep breaking them :( I don't have energizer currently either. Do you highly recommend getting some, or am I ok?

Maybe instead of adding water later ill just add 6 concentrates at first then 6 a few days later

The energizer helps but is not a requirement. In a pinch you can boil some bread yeast for about 10 min and that works as a good nutrient but that may not be needed. One way you can prevent the carboy from erupting would be to just mix up the must like normal. Then siphon off some into an empty two liter. Store that in the fridge and after 3-4 days have past it should be safe to poor that back into the carboy.

I have wanted too try using more juice per gallon as well, nothing against yoopers recipe but I did always feel like 2 cans per gallon was a bit on the watered down side. That and when you add sugar it just makes it seem like flavored jet fuel instead of a nice full bodied red wine. Keep in mind folks, in other countries there are actually laws that prohibit wineries from adding too much sugar too their wines. A good grape season will not require the addition of sugar but if the brix turns out a bit low then some sugar may be required.

I originally started making concentration wines this way as an attempt to make a cheap easy wine used only for the purpose of making a yeast cake for skeeter pee. But found I really liked the resulting wine.

I went out and bought the energizer and earl grey tea. I can't wait to get this batch going. I've made a few batches using only 2 concentrates / gallon and I haven't really liked them. So I'm
Excited for this batch. I think It'll fit my taste a little more.

And btw, I read that you make mead, is your recipe for that simple as well? I'd love to hear it. I wanna try some new things.

Yea I like to make mead. I have 3 in primary or secondary right now. Most of my stuff is metheglins or melomels (spiced or fruit meads). Are you looking for a traditional mead recipe or something flavored? I could share my experience in any category I am familiar with.

Your 2 favorites from each category, that are fairly simple maybe? I have not made a mead yet, although I have tasted my friends. It is very good.

Here is a simple ginger mead that I still have in secondary since October of last year but so far from the samples I really like it. The recipe is as follows: (It is edited from my original recipe based off of what I learned and believe to be an improvement)

5 gallon recipe

12 lb honey
50 raisins chopped or torn in half
8 oz fresh ginger not skinned just washed and sliced thin
5 tsp yeast nutrient (DAP)
2.5 tsp yeast energizer
Yeast (lalvin K1v-1116)

Here is a link to a thread I started for this mead ginger mead

Wash the ginger and slice thin, do not peel. Add to carboy or bucket. Add 2 gallons hot water as from tap. If tap water is harsh then filtered or spring water can be used and heated over fire but we just want it has hot as tap no where near boiling. Add in honey and mix well. Add 70% of the total nutrients and the rest will be added evenly every 24 hours for the following 3 days. The yeast will then need a starter. Mix 2 cups water with 1/4 cup honey with a pinch of yeast nutrients and 10 raisins. Add package of yeast, do not mix it in. Just cover with paper towel and rubber band and leave for a couple hours. Once yeast looks active pitch contents into carboy.

Note: ginger seems to be a yeast inhibitor so this ferment will take a long while. It may not ferment dry for 3-4 months.

Once fermented dry rack to secondary and allow to clear. This stuff clears really well without finnings. Once clear rack again and add 5 crushed Camden tablets and 2.5 tsp sorbate. Wait 1 day then back sweeten with honey to about a gravity of 1.020.

This should give a decent ginger flavor. I like a lot of ginger so I actually added much more to the secondary. If you give a taste and want more ginger just add additional to secondary after primary fermentation.

-------

Here is a recipe all mead makers should try. JAOM!

I can't type anything to do it justice so read the original writings in it here:

JAOM

--------

Here is one more worth a try:

This is a Bochet. It is like a traditional but you caramelize the honey. Basic recipe is like this:

1 gallon recipe

3lb honey
Hand full of raisins (about 25)
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Yeast (lalvin 71b)

For the honey I like to add to a large pot 2 parts water 1 part honey. Then start to boil. Watch super carefully and when it starts to boil it will expand in volume by about 4x. Constantly mix the stuff for about 2 hours. Your arm will be tired. Add that to the carboy and mix in nutrients, water to 1 gallon and raisins. Rehydrate yeast per package directions and once the must is at room temp then pitch the yeast.

This one should not need to be back sweetened because the Caramelized honey should have some un-ferment able sugars there.

The list can go on and on but those are all fun meads to try.

Every time I try to do it and think maybe it won't this time. It does lol.

image-1390786073.jpg

I have just been enjoying my first batch of welches Concord. Yum. Tonight I started my second batch of wine ever. I decided to use juice this time. 8 jugs of target white, 2 jugs of target purple, 2 lbs sugar, some water, champagne yeast. Word.
I really like my welches concentrate. We started on July 4. New to wine making, and have enjoyed noticing the changes every day. This next batch, I will allow to age longer and bottle. I want to back sweeten this new batch

Every time I try to do it and think maybe it won't this time. It does lol.

you need to consider fermenting your wine in the bucket until it calms down and then transfer over into the carboy. Just curious what is the air temperature in the room that is in??

75 + or - I usually don't pay too much attention to temperature. But that was the most explosive fermentation I have ever seen. And I do have a fermentation bucket. But I'm just not a big fan of plastic because I hate having to worry about scratches and stuff in the bucket. I'm gonna have to start tho because that turned into a mess

I don't use buckets. What I have started doing is using a 2 liter or 1 liter plastic bottle to hold some of the must before I pitch the yeast so the carboy has plenty head room. After fermentation dies down I top up with the plastic bottle of must which has been chilling in the fridge up to that point.

Arpolis, I actually thought about doing that, but in the end decided not to. I wish I would have tho.

I went out and bought the energizer and earl grey tea. I can't wait to get this batch going. I've made a few batches using only 2 concentrates / gallon and I haven't really liked them. So I'm
Excited for this batch. I think It'll fit my taste a little more.

Did you use 4 cans? What flavor?

jak1010 said:
Did you use 4 cans? What flavor?

I used 4 cans/ gal. But made a 3 al batch so I used 12 cans. I used welches frozen white grape and peach. Smells great so far!

My fermentation took off like crazy but didnt really last too long. There hasn't been any activity what so ever in the carboy for the past few days.

I remember fermentation did not last long at all with this recipe. Another friend that did this said his main fermentation was only a few days like 5 or 6. I think last I paid attention to it it was about 8 or 9 days for me.

Arpolis said:
I remember fermentation did not last long at all with this recipe. Another friend that did this said his main fermentation was only a few days like 5 or 6. I think last I paid attention to it it was about 8 or 9 days for me.

Started mine on July 25th put in my fridge 2 weeks later and has been there ever since.

The wine has not cleared yet tho. Do you recommend
1 leaving it where it's at until it clears
2 rack it ( would prefer not because I only have 1 three gal and don't wanna go to bucket then back in, that's bad isn't it?)
3 using pectic enzyme or something else.

Give it some time, it should clear on it's own. You don't HAVE to rack it if you don't want to but I would recommend it. You can rack it into a bucket and rack back into the cleaned primary vessel. Just have to be careful to siphon and be gentle with it. (as in don't pour from one to the other) To help avoid oxidation. Should be fine to do that, IMO.

So I bottled this today. The peach aroma is still there, but the flavor is kinda watery. Alcohol content seems low. Is it because I just bottled it? Will time help? I followed the recipe correctly. But I never took gravity measures.

Back