Weizenbock - stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fili123

Reaction score
Hi HBTers,
Maybe you can shed some light on my situation and offer some advice.

Im brewing a weizenbock: 10# wheat, 3.5 Pils, 2 Munich, .5 choc, .25 crystal 60L, .25 crystal 20 L. 1.5 Hallertauer @ 60min, .5 @ 10 min. 5.5 gal batch.

I harvested some Wyeast 3068 from my last Hefe and thought I pitched enough 200ml slurry October 27. OG 1.078. Ferment @ 65.

2.5 weeks later go to check gravity after some heavy activity first couple of days and Im shocked to see im only at 1.048! The sample taste like malt syrup.

So i get it to a closet and rouse the yeast @70-72 for past three days. Airlock activity and huge cap of brown yeast/kraeusen on top still. Fermentation is def slowing down and today (almost three weeks later) im at 1.030.

Should i let it be? Lower the fermentation temp? Pitch more yeast? Really dont want to toss this one as alot of malt in there:)
Thanks in advance for the replies.

IMG_2132.jpg

Maybe the yeast you harvested wasnt enough, or wasnt in the best shape? If its still dropping i'd just let it go. Or maybe toss a smack pack in? Ive only had this issue with saisons which we all know is typical.

Back