Weizenbock Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aotidae

Reaction score
I am still very new to making my own recipes, and after making a drinkable, but far to roast astringent brown ale, I am a bit nervous when it comes to using them in my recipes. I am also worried I will make the mistake of throwing in far too many ingredients in the quest for a complimentary complexity.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Either a one step mash at 154 F or separating the wheat, doing a rest at 130 F for 30 minutes, adding the remainder of my grain, and bringing the temperature up to 154 F and holding for 60.

WLP 351 2L starter

10 lbs German Wheat malt
4 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Munnich
1 lbs 4 oz Caravienna
15.8 oz Special B
3.9 oz Chocolate

2.45 oz Hallertauer @ 60 min: .347 IBU/SG @ 28.4 IBU's

SRM 22.7

ABV 7.8%

Boil 90 min

I decided the IBU/SG based on a Weizen that I really enjoy, but I am not sure how well it will play out with the roast addition. I have never split a mash as mentioned above, but I was listening to a podcast where Palmer was talking about enzymatic activity at varying temperatures. From my understanding, he was saying that doing protein rests could cause premature denaturing of enzymes. He never said anything about splitting up a mash, but I thought that if you did this with grains like wheat, 6-row, spelt, etc; you could get the benefit of the rest and still have fresh enzymes from the remainder of your grain bill. This may be a waste of time, but I figured I would throw the idea around here and see what you helpful gents thought. But, back to the main point of this post. Is this recipe terrible? Am I putting too much into it? With a 90 minute boil do I even need the caravienna? Would the boil help bring out some higher level cara/crystal flavours? Am I overthinking things as I usually do?

P.S.

I have to order my ingredients from 8 hrs away and I have to get it pre-milled.

OK...on the recipe... I personally would omit the chocolate, I don't think it is appropriate for the style.
the special b seems like a lot but I have not personally used it so maybe someone else can chime in on that.
1.5 lbs seems like a lot of caravienna but that's a big beer so maybe it would work.
as far as the mash goes, I think a double or triple decoction is the traditional method but that too is unfortunately out of my area of expertise.

I also agree with ditching the chocolate. ~1lb of special B is going to be VERY prominent. I stick with like 6oz in my dubbels where I definitely want the flavor contribution. 1lb would be way too much, especially with the caravienna. I would cut it to 1lb total (special B + Caravienna) or its going to be very sweet, especially at that high of an OG

If I ditch the chocolate, change the caravienna to 4 oz, and the special B to 12 oz; that leaves me with an SRM of 15. I have only had one weizenbock before, and it was darker than this for sure. Any thoughts on color? Do the changes look okay?

not sure what the color requirements are for weizenbock, but if you want color w/o the roasted edge I'd recommend midnight wheat.
how much? I can tell you 4 oz in a 5 gal batch made my hefeweizen look like a porter or stout.
Hope that helps

Back