Weizenbock Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlg5039

Reaction score
I would like to make this AG Weizenbock recipe next week from what I have at the house currently. Here is the grain bill I plan to use:

Weizenbock

Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 6.500 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.071
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.9%
Bitterness: 18.8 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 24 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables

Name Type Amount

Wheat Malt Grain 7.000 lb
Munich Malt Grain 6.000 lb
Pale Malt (UK) Grain 1.000 lb
Chocolate Malt (UK) Grain 8.000 oz
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 8.000 oz

Total grain: 16.000 lb

Hops

Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU

Perle 7.0% 0.750 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 14.2
Hallertau 4.5% 0.750 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 4.5

Yeast

Wyeast - Bavarian Wheat Ale Liquid 3056

Mash

1.4 qts/lb ration

Single infusion 151 degrees for 60 minutes or more. I want this to be very fermentble.

Mashout at 166. Batch sparge to reach preboil volume.

Ferment 14 days @ 66 degrees. Then cold condition for 2 weeks at 45-50 degrees.

Any advice, critiques, or criticism is appreciated. I've never made anything in this style before. Cheers and thank you.

Mike

looks great to me. I'd probably cut the pale malt tho unless you just need it to bump you to a desired OG and are out of wheat, munich, or vienna. You could probably do without the hallertau add too, but if you want a little hop flavor to it thats ok, although not really to style.

Yeah I was just using the pound of two row to bump the OG a little bit to where I'd like this beer to be. That's all of the munich and wheat I have left. I'm on the fence about the late Hallertau add as well. Might just bump the perle to an ounce and skip it.

Personally, I'd get rid of the 1 lb of english pale ale malt (maris otter?) and change a few of the pounds of the munich into pilsener malt. Looks a teensy bit dark and bready. You might also want to put in some c40 or thereabouts for a bit more sweetness. But that's more a personal adjustment thing, overall you look pretty good.

You don't need all that Chocalate malt. Maybe just an ounce if your worried about color but all that roast flavor is inappropriate.

Back