Weizenbock grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkguy

Reaction score
I was wondering a couple of things regarding a weizenbock I will be making:

a) does pale wheat need to be in it if I have access to dark wheat (will the pale need to be there to assist conversion)? I will have 20%ish pilsner in there.
b) Is 2 pounds of Munich malt in a 13# mash enough to be noticeable/would that count as 'copious' (BJCP's guideline for aroma)?

I haven't made one ina long time, and since I have access to a wealth of malts I am planning to experiment a little. I normally could give a toss about the BJCP guidelines - I like way more hops than the styles allow - but this one seems to fall in line, so I might as well tailor it to their guidelines; unless it becomes too much trouble.

Thanks for the input. I always learn a LOT browsing in here.

I think dark wheat malt has enough diastatic power to convert itself, but not much else. I could be wrong.

Check out Jamil's recipe from BCS, I made it once and it came out fantastic. As with any other weizen, the yeast flavors are one of the most important parts of the beer so make sure you treat it right!

I think his grain bill is 10 lbs dark wheat, 5 lbs Pils, 2 lbs Munich, 8 oz C40, 8 oz special B, 4 oz pale chocolate.

Back