weizen conditioning and carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpersinger

Reaction score
Brewed a weizen (wyeast 3068) by triple decoction and It's been in primary fermentation 7 days. Thoughts on how to get the appropriate carbonation and conditioning without pitching another yeast?

Plan: When FG is in range (tomorrow?), rack some of the batch to bottles (some primed with speize, some corn sugar) and some to a keg,
then let it all cellar for 5 days at 67F,
& then lager it at around 42F for 3 weeks.
After that when I cellar it again, will the wyeast 3068 wake up and finish out the beer, or will the lagering kill it?

I don't quite understand what your question is asking, but I will offer that hefeweizens brewed with that yeast are best when they are fresh. Just leave it in the primary for 2 - 3 weeks, and then immediately keg it up/bottle it. Don't do a secondary, don't lager it, and don't try to condition it. Less work and a better beer in the end.

:mug:

I don't quite understand what your question is asking, but I will offer that hefeweizens brewed with that yeast are best when they are fresh. Just leave it in the primary for 2 - 3 weeks, and then immediately keg it up/bottle it. Don't do a secondary, don't lager it, and don't try to condition it. Less work and a better beer in the end.

:mug:
Ditto! It should be gone in a month, not sitting in your basement...

Back