Weird taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustman

Reaction score
Ok, so 6 months ago I bottled my first batch of mead. Admittedly, its still young, but I cracked one open. Color is perfect. A nice golden color and absolutely clear. No cloudiness or anything.

Taste, on the other hand... tastes like an olive. Seriously. Like I'm eating a handful of green olives. It doesn't taste vinegary, per se... it doesn't taste really sour or acidic... just tastes like an olive. This is annoying because I'd rather not sit on this for the next couple of years if all its going to be good for is cooking. I could use that right now.

Any thoughts?

Is there anything that could bring out an olive note that you'd eaten previously when you sampled? If it's clear and you can read through it, the mead itself sounds fine. Not sure what could cause it to taste like olives though so very interested to see how this puzzle comes together.

Back