Weird spots on inside of keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slysock

Reaction score
I just converted a keg to a keggle and and got a propane burner for brewing outdoors. I put three gallons of water in the keg and timed how long it would take to boil so I could figure out times for brew day.

Once the water had cooled and i poured it out, I noticed these dots along the bottom of the keg.

IMG_20130212_150808_032_zps00f98143.jpg

Does any body know what this is?

the keg is a 13.2 gallon stainless steel keg that had its top cut off with an angle grinder. the stove is a bayou classic sq14 with a bg12 burner.

I just converted a keg to a keggle and and got a propane burner for brewing outdoors. I put three gallons of water in the keg and timed how long it would take to boil so I could figure out times for brew day.

Once the water had cooled and i poured it out, I noticed these dots along the bottom of the keg.

Does any body know what this is?

the keg is a 13.2 gallon stainless steel keg that had its top cut off with an angle grinder. the stove is a bayou classic sq14 with a bg12 burner.

It might be mineral deposits from your water. Did you clean tye keg prior to boiling?

No, I didn't, all I did was rinse it out, should I use a oxygen based cleaner or just simple dish soap? Would there be a negative effect from dish soap?

slysock said:
No, I didn't, all I did was rinse it out, should I use a oxygen based cleaner or just simple dish soap? Would there be a negative effect from dish soap?

If you use dish soap and don't rinse it completely out the soap could have an ill effect on taste and yeast viability. Try StarSan to clean and you don't need to completely rinse it either.

Made a star sans solution and let it sit for a while then scrubbed it with a sponge, took the spots away. Thanks for the help. I'm hoping once I brew this weekend on the keggle they don't reappear. Thanks again!

Back