Weird Smell in Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg9929

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this was the right place to post, but anyways:

I have a chest freezer that I am using as lagering chamber/beer fridge. Right now there is a weird smell. It is a sweet fake vanilla smell that burns my nose a little. Reminds me a little of super cheap vanilla vodka. I first noticed the smell when lagering an oktoberfest with Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager. Had never used that yeast before so I wrote it off as fermentation smell. I smelled the airlock and it appeared to be coming from there. The beer has been out of the chest freezer for three weeks now and the smell is stronger than before. There is a CO2 tank in there right now along with two carbonating kegs and a bunch of bottles of beer.

Any ideas what the smell is. Very rough research made me think it was freon, but I also read that it has no smell. Also I haven't felt sick from it. I am also contacting the store I bought the freezer from to see if they have any info.

Thanks in advance

probably should pull everything out and scrub it with a mild bleach solution and see if it returns. If your freezer has seams inside make sure you get some cleaner in them too.

I had a burning smell once coming from my keezer... Turns out there was a very slow leak in the pressure release valve on one of the kegs. The CO² was slowly leaking out and filled the inside of the keezer with gas.

Same kind of burning you get if you've ever took a whiff inside a recently emptied keg. :drunk: Is it possible your CO² bottle is leaking?

I dont think it is the Co2. I have accidently blasted myself a couple times and have had a leak before and it didnt smell like that. But the smell getting stronger would make sense if it was CO2. I just started force carbing one of the kegs at 40 psi. I normally carb much lower or prime them.

I should add I have had it less than a year.

Back