Weird question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slym2none

"Lazy extract brewer."
Reaction score
This might be a weird question - is there any difference between mashing a 5 gallon batch at 152, and splitting it beforehand and mashing one half at 148 & mashing the other half at 156, then blending them?

This might be a weird question - is there any difference between mashing a 5 gallon batch at 152, and splitting it beforehand and mashing one half at 148 & mashing the other half at 156, then blending them?

Not exactly a weird question...but I would think it'd be a weird procedure.

At some point there would be a "difference". I think the delta is probably a bit too small here for there to be any noticeable difference. exBeeriment!

The taste would probably be about the same.
The mashing times would be different. Longer at 148 and about an hour at 156.
Have you done it already?

I'd think that's like mixing a half pound of C40 and a half pound of C80, and calling it a pound of C60. There's going to be some truth to that in some facets, but it's not going to be the same thing. That's my guess. Does that mean worse than the normal batch? No, not necessarily. If anything, you may be able to get a character out of it you can't get any other way. No way to know unless you try it.

I say do it, and post results.

There is a difference..... but not much. Might make for an interesting experiment. But I bet it will turn out almost exactly the same as a 152 F mashed beer.

Agree. Just looking at AA/BA graphs it's not linear, but small enough to probably not make much of a difference. Especially with personally I cant tell a difference between beers that have decent mash temp loss...

I have not done this, I was just reading about mash temps and had an odd thought.

It might be a few months, but maybe I will try this.

:mug:

Back