Weird Question: Any Ren Faire goers here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used to love going to a Spanish recreation festival we have nearby locally when I was a kid. I recently have gotten into collecting swords and making mead. Both fairly medieval activities.

I also learned that there is a Ren Faire coming up in September and I really want to attend. I want to do the full deal and dress up and all that. Let me tell you, my wife is ecstatic! (<--- blatant sarcasm here). I keep telling her we can make her a geisha or something (she is Asian) but that just REALLY pisses her off :D

Unfortunately, I discovered that medieval clothing and gear is ridiculously expensive. I really don't want to spend several hundred dollars just to go to this thing. As far as I can tell, I can easily make a viking/medieval type tunic with a t-shirt and some scissors. I also have the sword thing down because I can just bring one of mine as long as it is "peace bonded" whatever that means. I am guessing some zip ties holding blade in scabbard or something. Thing is... I cannot figure out for the life of me what to do about pants and especially shoes and stuff.

Any advice about anything about a ren faire would be greatly appreciated!

Star Trek outfit act as though you are time traveling.

Or get a delorian and dress up like its 1985.

Do some online research as its not terribly difficult to make peasant garb. My wife, 2 yr old and I dressed up as peasants and had so many people take pictures of us it was crazy. It cost less than $100 for all 3 costumes. Admittedly my wife sewed a lot of it, but it wasn't that crazy.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I went to a Ren Fair this past fall, but didn't dress up. I decided after that that I wanted to dress up next time. My wife said she would be down for helping me put together an outfit and she's hoping we can make most of it. I figure a pair of leather pants and a vest shouldn't be too hard to fashion except for the sheer difficulty of sewing leather, but I don't think the actual concept will be too difficult. I think it might be a little difficult to make a period correct shirt, so I might just buy that, same with the hat. I agree the shoes are going to be the hardest thing to pull off, but I feel like you might be able to find something in a department store that might pass for medieval boots. Best of luck to you and if you come across any other insights I'd love to hear them.

Went to my first one last summer. Was a good time. I love that you can carry a beer stein around on a hook on your belt :rockin:

Will probably dress up a little this year. It was a good time.

I never did buy a sword. Just as well. I started leaning toward an axe. Now I'm thinking war hammer. What sword places do you like, SoG? I'm looking for functional or battle ready, as it's called. Not stage.

I dig them. My wife absolutely loves them. They're a lot of fun. We haven't been to the one near here in a while, and we've been meaning to go. But there's a place called Medieval Madness just down the road that does period food, a show, and usually a sword fight that's a lot of fun (and they have a nice beer selection usually with beers/styles produced during the middle ages, plus mead). Last time we went I judged the fight. Good times.

I worked at a ren faire for 4 years (age 13 to 17, wow been awhile... I'm 37 now). I was in a guild for awhile that organized all the parades through the faire, some stage shows, etc... (boring). Then I worked as a juggler and I taught visitors how to juggle which was pretty fun. I have to say that the best parts were after faire hours. We camped at the faire site over the weekends. For a 16 - 17 year old, it was fantastic! More than one experience there that my daughter should never hear about... A lot of "free" sort of people work ren faires... :D

Aside from all that, the clothing for peasants is very easy to make. Very loose fitting, blocky sort of patterns. Merchants and nobility are more fitting and difficult (and more expensive). Shoes can even be those mocassin boots / plainsmans boots but I would cut the fringe off as that is more western than renaissance.

I'll have to find some old pics and post them up.

You don't know comfort until you've worn linen tunic and pants in the heat of the summer. Going back to modern all cotton clothes really makes ya wonder about 'progress'.

Gets expensive though, my armor alone is in the 1K range, and needs constant upkeep and improvement from fighting.

My wife and I went to NY's Ren Faire when we first met and we both enjoyed it immensely. We plan on taking our daughters this year. After reading this thread, I may consider dressing up. The only thing that would hold me back is I remember that the people who were dressed up got a lot more attention from the people they had wandering around engaging with the visitors. I'm worried that some of those people might scare the kids.

My wife and I went to NY's Ren Faire when we first met and we both enjoyed it immensely. We plan on taking our daughters this year. After reading this thread, I may consider dressing up. The only thing that would hold me back is I remember that the people who were dressed up got a lot more attention from the people they had wandering around engaging with the visitors. I'm worried that some of those people might scare the kids.

Might make it more fun for the kids too! Not sure how old your kids are but I heard that a lot of kids dress up like faeries and stuff and have a blast.

My oldest is 2.5. I think we will dress them up. The older one will get a real kick out of that. We were supposed to go to Medieval Times tomorrow actually, but this blizzard looks to be changing those plans.

When we lived back east, we went to the CT faire every year. It was a blast! Dressed up and everything. Haven't been to many in Oregon, tho.

For cheap pants, get some black scrubs. They're baggy and tuck into boots nicely.

Also check Goodwill for shirts or vests; we've found some good stuff before. Ebay might have some good stuff, as well as Etsy.

If anyone sews, there are free patterns for simple shirts/capes on the internets, and Joanne's always has X percent off coupons on their site. The added bonus is that you don't even have to be good at sewing; it's usually a bunch of straight lines.

You can also be a muddy peasant; dark baggy clothing, and roll in a mud puddle. Instant costume!

Back