Weird Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wamphyriification

Reaction score
9th batch is the weirdest yet. No action in primary until about 60 hours in (WL001 no starter OG 1.050). Once started, the fermentation was pretty lazy. I checked it on day 8 and it looked about done, still some bubbles in airlock but very slow movement in liquid. I went to rack it this morning (day 12) and it is still going about the same as day 8, maybe even a bit stronger. There is still a good amount of white and dark foam. I plan on letting go as long as it takes and not take another gravity reading until the activity has ceased.

My questions are, is one fermentation rate better than the other? Fast and furious is what I normally have (done in 5-7 days) but wonder if slow and steady is more/less desirable. Will taste be different? Any thoughts?

It all depends on the yeast. Either way, you want to let the beer sit for a week or two AFTER fermentation is done. Don't rack immediately to rush them into bottles. It prevents the yeast from cleaning up any off flavors they may have created.

Every yeast is different and you will never see one fermentation look the same as the next. Once you get a little more experience under your belt, you'll start letting the beer sit for 3-4 weeks without even looking at it. Hell, I even forget I've got something fermenting sometimes. My pipeline is so backed up that I'm not worried about the next beer coming out.

That is usually a pretty good fermenting yeast. If you didn't do a starter, didn't do much to oxygenate it, there are temp. fluctuations, you pitched it too warm....many things can impact your fermentation. If you are consistent in your method then you should start knowing when a yeast is acting strangely...so go brew tons more and you will get the feel for it :)

Back