Weird Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldzorn

Reaction score
I brewed a sweet chocolate stout, and it's been in the primary for about a week and a day. I used 1.5kg of coopers dark extra, 1.2kg of some pale ale extract whose brand I cannot remember, 1cup of brown sugar, 3oz of bakers chocolate, 1lbs of chocolate malt, 1lbs of crystal malt, and half cup of lactose. I threw the bakers chocolate into the boil and it kinda sedamented on the top but I thought nothing of it. Now I took a look at the kreusen and it looks weird and blotchy. I'm not sure if the chocolate just sedemented into the kruesen or it's mold. Please tell me why I shouldn't be worrying. The OG was 1.060. I'm going to take a new reading in a couple days. Thanks :D

I've said it over and over and over...One thing to realize is that since we are dealing with living micro-orgasms, that no two fermentations are ever the same. So we shouldn't expect them to be.

And to never assume that because something is happening differently, in one batch to another, that there is something wrong.

When we are dealing with living creatures, there is a wild card factor in play..Just like with other animals, including humans...No two behave the same.

You can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....but it was like symbiotic or something...

All krausens look weird to someone...they are nature in it's most primal, random and organic form....

Relax.

Totally agree with Revvy. Just relax, your fermentations will never be the same from batch to batch. Especially without pictures, there's really nothing to go off of. Including actual chocolate is definately one variable that you've probably never had in any of your other batches. I would say that this is probably what's causing the different looking krausen. Chocolate does contain oils which could be one of the main causes.

Just treat it like any other batch and see what it tastes like after being in the bottle for a bit. I'm sure there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Thanks. I'm sure you've gotten good at this with all the times you've answered the same stock question. I'm in school for my Bsc. in Chemistry right now. Us chemist are a different breed than biologists, we like consistancy dammit! But I guess I'll have to accept that the yeast have a PhD in fermentation, and probably have tenure too.

Thanks. I'm sure you've gotten good at this with all the times you've answered the same stock question. I'm in school for my Bsc. in Chemistry right now. Us chemist are a different breed than biologists, we like consistancy dammit! But I guess I'll have to accept that the yeast have a PhD in fermentation, and probably have tenure too.

Yeah after 4,000 years I think their tenure is grandfathered in.;)

They are in charge, we're really not. And they know what to do.

Back