Weird Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greendean

Reaction score
Just bought an old hydrometer made by a french company "DuJardin, de Salleron" could be anywhere from 120 to 50 years old, What is weird is that has a strange scale on it which runs from 3 at the top to 6 at the bottom,

It could possibly be the DuJardin scale which is "A hydrometer scale used in making wine. It reads in the potential percentage by volume of alcohol in the finished wine, assuming all the sugar were to be converted to alcohol."

however 3% to 6% is a bit off for wine, is it not ?

Has anyone seen this scale before? The information on the packaging is in French and my limited knowledge of the language seems to indicate that it is calibrated at 65.5 deg F (or 18.6 deg C) but there is no mention of the scale.

I don't have a trial jar deep enough at the moment to find '0' on the scale but i'll get on it presently. (Note to self: glass trial jars break when dropped on a concrete floor)

cheers in advance for any advice or information.

Post a link to a picture? You can't post img files (I.E. they'll need to be clickable), but I believe you can still link to a picture...

What is the full word (largest one) on the box? It might be an acid hydrometer for vinegar. 3-6% would be about right.

yep the big word is Alcoometre which unsurprisingly means alcohol-meter, most of the rest of the lable is typical turn of the century advertising and trade mark lingo with no real clarification other than saying that they will supply me with a 200 page calibration manual for alchohol meters in general if i wanted one.

I am begining to think that the scale is indeed a Dujardin scale, wherein a reading of 4 would mean that there is potential for 4% alcohol from the liquid. (would make sense given it was made by dujardin+salleron). The hydrometer could be part of a set which may have covered 0%-3% then 3% - 6% and so on.

The company is still going strong apparently, so i might email their museum to see if I can confirm this.

Back