Weird foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigB

Reaction score
I have been kegging for about a year now, and ever since I started, I noticed something weird with my beers... The head on the beer seems to clump. Now what caught my attention, is that I bought a keg of Shorts Bellaire Brown, and it doesn't do that. So, my assumption is that there is way too much proteins - but every style of beer? Seems unlikely. But what then? Anyone have any ideas? There are no off flavors or unusual color characteristics...just clumpy foam. :confused:

I've experienced this as well. I chalk it up to the fact that I don't bother to properly clean my glasses. I make beer with fantastic head retention, but that head doesn't much care to sit next to my glasses that have jet-dry or detergent residue on them. Try cleaning your glassware thoroughly and then rinsing over and over with painfully hot water.

I've experienced this as well. I chalk it up to the fact that I don't bother to properly clean my glasses. I make beer with fantastic head retention, but that head doesn't much care to sit next to my glasses that have jet-dry or detergent residue on them. Try cleaning your glassware thoroughly and then rinsing over and over with painfully hot water.

I thought that, but I don't have problems when I drink commercial beers out of the same glasses. I'm starting to think that maybe it is something to do with the kegs themselves... like I'm not rinsing them well enough. The reason I say this, is because I mentioned that Short's Bellaire Brown, but I bought that keg from them... they cleaned and sanitized it and filled it... I just tapped it. Plus since I only seem to have problems from the other kegged beers, I doubt its my pre-kegging process or the lines/faucets. Maybe I should try to use Brewery Wash instead of oxyclean free for the next couple beers to see if it makes a difference.

Hmm, let me know- I thought PBW was fairly similar to oxyfree, but I know there are some extra ingredients. I wash my kegs thoroughly every time they kick so I don't think cleanliness is the issue.

I have the exact same problem with all of my beers. I though maybe it was something in my mashing process, but I also use oxyclean free and starsan on my kegs. I remember hearing in an interview that pbw has a surfactant that oxy doesn't have, so maybe some leftover residue is causing this.

I thought that, but I don't have problems when I drink commercial beers out of the same glasses. I'm starting to think that maybe it is something to do with the kegs themselves... like I'm not rinsing them well enough. The reason I say this, is because I mentioned that Short's Bellaire Brown, but I bought that keg from them... they cleaned and sanitized it and filled it... I just tapped it. Plus since I only seem to have problems from the other kegged beers, I doubt its my pre-kegging process or the lines/faucets. Maybe I should try to use Brewery Wash instead of oxyclean free for the next couple beers to see if it makes a difference.

It seems unlikely to me is is a keg issue but you could try using the "Oxy" with cold water and rinse with hot to make sure there is no residue left in them... also useless and soak longer ...

What king of taps are you using "Cobra-Heads" or Taps... Cobra-heads should be OPENED all the way or they cause foam...

Are you using a lot of wheat in you beers? If so cut it back and see what happens...

My best beer recently had no wheat in it and I still got great Head Retention

It seems unlikely to me is is a keg issue but you could try using the "Oxy" with cold water and rinse with hot to make sure there is no residue left in them... also useless and soak longer ...

What king of taps are you using "Cobra-Heads" or Taps... Cobra-heads should be OPENED all the way or they cause foam...

Are you using a lot of wheat in you beers? If so cut it back and see what happens...

My best beer recently had no wheat in it and I still got great Head Retention

Perlicks... The foam is not excessive, just clumpy. Looks like the Atlantic ice sheet in spring. I rarely use wheat. Head retention is not the problem... just funny foam clumps. Maybe tonight I'll take a photo.

Back