Weird film on bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmdrico7812

Reaction score
So I took the advice of several threads on this forum for removing labels from bottles. I made up a bucket of sanitizing solution (One-Step) and soaked the bottles in it for 3-4 days. This does really well at taking labels off commercial bottles but I also had some bottles of home brew in with it. The home made labels are not dry gummed but are a standard type adhesive. The solution removes the labels fairly well but it leaves this really gritty film on the bottles that is very difficult to remove. I ran the bottles through the dishwasher, no soap, but ran a regular cycle to try and power wash the film off but it didn't work. My now dry bottles have the same gritty film on the inside and outside. I don't know if it's a combination of One-Step and the dissolved adhesive but I don't know what to do about it.

Has anyone else run into this problem or know a remedy? Does anyone else have a better way of removing home made, standard adhesive labels? Much thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Eric

try oxyclean soaking. i use that or an acid based food grade sanatizer like starsan to remove the labels. works like a charm and then i just wipe them off with a dish towel

one-step and oxy-clean both leave a weird residue when not rinsed. its what i didn't like about one-step...its a no-rinse sanitizer/cleanser and supposedly the film is of no consequence...but I didn't like it.

oxy-clean is basically the same kind of stuff, and is cheaper than one step. just get the 'free/versatile' oxy-clean that has no perfumes.

I've only removed the labels off about a case so far, but bleach worked ok for me. Except on the flying dog labels.....had to use a scrubing pad and my nails to get those off, but I did only soak mine over night. It'll probably take the film off too.

3 days does wonders even if the water is cold origionally as long as oxycleans in it

Back