Weird chugger pump issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
I have two chugger pumps that I ordered. First one head came with an 815 impeller and the other an 805. Here's my issue: when the 815 is cold the pump works fine but makes an odd noise in general. But when the liquid temps circulating get 120+ the pump stops working?? I'm not sure what the issue is, maybe I need to sand the inside of the impeller were the shaft goes?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

First off both pumps had a different impeller one had an 815 and the other had an 809. But the 809 housing is supposed to fit an 815 impeller anyways. But the pump with the 815 stops working when the water temps go up ( I circulate my HLT constantly to maintain uniform heat on my hex)

It worked for my first batch and now it won't work? In thinking it's the magnet maybe? Or the that is expanding and causing the impeller to stick

It all spins properly with the pump a part

On top of that it is a foot below a bottom drain tank full of 20 gallons of water ( no priming issues)

I think I'm going to put the pump head in boiling water to heat it up and see if the impeller will turn on the shaft. Could the magnet get deenergized?

I had a similar issue. I drilled out the impeller as described here. No problems since.

I read through your thread, the pump issue sounds identical to your problem. Too bad beating on the pump head with a hammer didnt work.lol

Thanks guys for the help once again. Saved my butt

Back