weird aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeddemon190

Reaction score
ok so this is my 3 or 4th batch. It was an american light that i fermented alittle high since i was unable to control my temps at that particular time.

My question is im tasting a weird flavor, and ill start from the beginning to help clarify some of the details.

first my future father in law has started brewing since he has seen how much i enjoy it. I bought him a Mr. Beer kit for xmas and he brewed following the instructions exactly. after 2 weeks in the fermenter at 68 degrees he bottled into 16 oz flip top bottles. I tried a bottle after another 2 weeks in the bottle and 2 days in the fridge cooling down. His batch was alittle light on the amount of carbonation, had a nice taste in the beginning but then you are left with a taste thats hard to explain. its sort of a stale beer flat taste, almost skunky.

at the same time he brewed his american light i brewed mine with his help. It was an extract kit (i believe brewers best, Im at work so cannot check) I fermented at 68-70 (ambient air temp) so the actual wort fermented high. I pitched the yeast that came with the kit after i got it down to 70*. It fermented quickly and was down to 1.012 after 7 days. I should have let it sit in primary for another week or two like i do normally but was pressed for time to bottle so after 7 days I bottled the beer (12oz bottles) and let it sit for 2 weeks. I then put a bottle in the fridge for 3 days.

Now we both tried my beer and while the carbonation is definatly better and it has a cleaner crisper taste in the beginning...the aftertaste is exactly the same but less intense i guess you could say. It just seems like it goes from a decent beer to a stale skunky aftertaste.

As a side note, I picked up a 12 pack of molson gold (hoping they were regular caps and not twist off..wrong) I noticed this beer had a very faint hint of the same aftertaste i was getting from my brew.

I plan on letting the bottles sit in my basement 68-70* and condition for a few more weeks, maybe tasting a bottle each week to see if there are any improvements.

Can anyone explain what im tasting. Hoping as I go my palate will start to distinguish what im tasting.

edit: here is a link to the recipe from the brewers best website. I remember following these directions --http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1018%202013%20American%20Light%20Recipe.pdf

It could have to do with how you are drinking it. What I mean, with most homebrews that are bottled, there is typically some yeast sediment at the bottom of the bottle. So I would try either drinking from the bottle, but not the last half inch of beer( donate that to the beer gods). Same principle goes to pouring in glass, avoid last bit in bottle. See if that helps, that would be my first guess

appreciate the help guys, as for the sediment...i always carefully pour my bottles into a glass so it shouldnt be the yeast, and duboman i just seen this link in another thread and have been looking through it...great article much appreciated.

The closest flavor i got was the cardboard taste from possible aeriation, but i was careful during all handling of the wort after the boil and after fermentation. still not sure what could have done it. There in green bottles but conditioning in a windowless closet in my basement. so still unsure. Im going to let them sit for awhile and keep testing...hopefully the other 3 fermenters that are full dont have the same funky taste

Are you using city water? Sounds like it could be a water issues, esp if ur dad in law uses same water....

Are you using city water? Sounds like it could be a water issues, esp if ur dad in law uses same water....

only for the boil, we top off with spring water bought from the store, and my previous batches have not had the weird aftertaste so its something unique to either this batch or this style of beer from the kits. im hoping its just off flavors from the yeast and it will condition out with time

Back