Weird after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamawolf

Reaction score
My husband and I are really new to brewing and we just finished our first batch the only bad thing is the weird after taste. Any ideas what might cause it and how to get rid of it?

You're going to need to tell us more than that. What did the 'weird' aftertaste taste like? Recipe? Yeast? Temp of fermentation? How old is the beer? Stuff like that.

-Mike

wanna be more specific on the weird after taste? sometimes it simply depends on one's palette

FWIW - I noticed a discernable odd aftertaste with most of my extract beers back in the day. LME usually let to a metallic twang. I found that saving a quarter to half of the extract for the last part of the boil worked well to tone that down.

As the others have mentioned, it will be hard to provide good feedback without knowing your exact process.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say fermentation temps are too high, but I'm just thinking about things I did wrong on my first attempt. :p

FWIW - I noticed a discernable odd aftertaste with most of my extract beers back in the day. LME usually let to a metallic twang. I found that saving a quarter to half of the extract for the last part of the boil worked well to tone that down.

Well this would have been nice to know 5 batches ago. I quit buying kits and started making my own recipes and used all LME and no DME and the beers began to taste like garbage (or more so than the kits that include DME). I also think it had something to do with the chlorine in my water. I've since been piecing parts together to go AG and bought some campden tabs

Well this would have been nice to know 5 batches ago. I quit buying kits and started making my own recipes and used all LME and no DME and the beers began to taste like garbage (or more so than the kits that include DME). I also think it had something to do with the chlorine in my water. I've since been piecing parts together to go AG and bought some campden tabs

Going AG was the best move I ever made. What's the campden for? I only use that for cider and wine.

Back