Weihenstephan W34/70 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

WBC

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Weihenstephan W34/70 yeast? I understand that this is from the oldest brewery in the world and has been a great yeast for the Weihenstephan lager. I want to make a beer that is close to Weihenstephan's Lager as I can. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
Their witbier is also one of the best I've ever had, and I've had quite a few wits ;) I've seen this yeast at my LHBS, is there a way to tell if it's the lager yeast or the wit? I don't do lagers yet and would be sorely dissapointed if I tried to make a wit with the wrong yeast.

mike

OP
WBC

WBC

Reaction score
MLynchLtd said:
Their witbier is also one of the best I've ever had, and I've had quite a few wits ;) I've seen this yeast at my LHBS, is there a way to tell if it's the lager yeast or the wit? I don't do lagers yet and would be sorely dissapointed if I tried to make a wit with the wrong yeast.

mike
Wit is another yeast entirely. Read these pages and you will see what I am talking about. Use Wyeast 3944 for a wit. W34/70 for a lager.

http://www.evansale.com/witbier-article.html

http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/pdf/SaflagerW-34-70.pdf

http://homebrewheaven.com/belgian-wit-beer-yeast-3944.htm

AdIn

Reaction score
I used it for Octoberfest. It was said that this yeast is similar to weast 2124 Bohemian Lager strain. At this moment I have kind of inconclusive results. The beer is still bottle- conditioning, but one half of the batch (I brewed 10g and fermented in 2 separate fermenters) has some strange smell in it which is detectable only in carbonated beer. My pitching rate was 2 rehydrated packs of yeast (11 gram each) per 5 gallons which should be plenty for 1.056 beer. So, I can't blame it on yeast but I'm not sure I'll be using it any time soon.

OP
WBC

WBC

Reaction score
AdIn said:
I used it for Octoberfest. It was said that this yeast is similar to weast 2124 Bohemian Lager strain. At this moment I have kind of inconclusive results. The beer is still bottle- conditioning, but one half of the batch (I brewed 10g and fermented in 2 separate fermenters) has some strange smell in it which is detectable only in carbonated beer. My pitching rate was 2 rehydrated packs of yeast (11 gram each) per 5 gallons which should be plenty for 1.056 beer. So, I can't blame it on yeast but I'm not sure I'll be using it any time soon.
Never count any beer lost BY SMELL until you try it. I hope you did a diacetyl rest before lagering? It should be rested when you are 2/3ds through Primary fermentation. This is usually done at around 60 F for 48 hours.

http://beerme.com/diacetyl.php

Kaiser

Reaction score
WBC said:
Has anyone tried the Weihenstephan W34/70 yeast?
34/70 is THE #1 yeast in German brewing. Most of the German breweries are using it. I have not made any experience with it, but I want to give it a try. It is sold as German Lager by Wyeast and White Labs and I hope it is less flocculant than the Bavarian Lager yeast (WY2206), which I'm using now.

Kai

Kaiser

Reaction score
Bulls Beers said:
I drink there original lager all the time.. It's great.Where can you get that strain?
WLP830 = Wyeast 2124 = 34/70

I have to correct myself, according to this chart the 34/70 is called Boehmian lager at Wyeast.

Kai

OP
WBC

WBC

Reaction score
Be sure to look at Kaiser's posted charts. That is great, Thanks Kaiser. :)

I would like ideas on a recipe for the Weihenstephan Lager too if anyone knows what might be in it. I would think it would be a very simple recipe though.

Bulls Beers

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Kaiser said:
WLP830 = Wyeast 2124 = 34/70

I have to correct myself, according to this chart the 34/70 is called Boehmian lager at Wyeast.

Kai
I think i've used that strain when making a Bohemian Pilsner extract kit..
Thanks for the chart..

Latest posts