weight/keg capacity of tempered glass in refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dochawk

Reaction score
I found some threads in the archives, but none that got to the end.

The refrigerator is a 2000 GE (I measured to make sure it would fit 4 cornies in the main compartment and 2 in the freezer before buying for my wife back then . . .).

The interior is 18"x18", and it would be the mounted shelf (not the cantilevered shelves).

My attempted measurement of the glass with a tape measure says 1/8" (can't find my calipers at the moment)--but none of the calculators out there go below 3/16".

It appears that it should only bear the weight of one or two kegs (or 20 lb co2 tank).

Is anyone successfully mounting more than that long term?

I guess it's not too big a deal to cut an 18x18 piece of another board, but if I can avoid it . . .

Just use a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood cut to exact size to replace the glass and make a new bottom. Remove the glass, it will break.

All three of my fridges are outfitted with 3/4" plywood platforms and can support as many kegs as I can fit (5 in two and 6 in the third).
Two of the platforms use the molded supports, the third had to be dropped enough to fit the kegs vertically...

fridge1_platform_sm.jpg

fridge2_platform_sm.jpg

fridge3_platform_sm.jpg

I wouldn't go thinner than 3/4" without a lot more support...

Cheers!

years ago, I replaced the drawer at the bottom of my then-refrigerator with plywood, probably 3/4, and was even able to put the drawer (or at least one) back in my frame.

This time, with vertically stacked drawers, I may need to keep the assembly, including glass in place . . .

I currently have 2 kegs, a 5# tank, and a 6 gallon bucket full on thin tempered glass. I know one sudden jolt and it could shatter. Replacing with wood this week, but I have been saying that for 4 months.

Back