weighing down the braid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeunc

Reaction score
installing a new setup on my new MLT.
I have this braid from bargain fittings:

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=44_35_47&product_id=96

with the end already crimped. I am going to try and use either the copper or stainless steel wire around a pencil and slide the wire in to give the braid some structure.

what can I do to keep it from moving around too much, when stirring,,doing batch sparging. The end is already crimped, so what kind of easy weighting measures could I try?

thanks

I would use a short piece of round SS stock at the crimped end as a weight plus use SS Tig filler wire wrapped around an object that allows it to just slide inside the mesh sock. If you left a stub of this SS filler pointed to the fitting insert it inside this fitting the mesh sock will slide over, solder this wire stub to the side internally in the fitting. This should hold the sock down as well holding it stiff aimed straight out. No sexual puns intended.
Happy New Year.

i don't have the ability to do the soldering, I am think some of fishing weight that has a loop to thread it through the crimped end and that should keep it from floating for sure.
I may go by a welding shop and see if they have a foot or so of scrap tig wire for the inside. I think you can just a small amount of wire at Home Depot or Lowes correct?

I would not use anything related to fishing weights, lead in your system a red flag with me.
Best to purchase a 36" stick of SS filler from any welding shop if they'll sell to you, hardeware stores I find hard to believe they have SS wire. Good hunting.

u r correct,,i forgot all about the lead thing. I am going to look for a stainless steel non-reactive weight for the crimped end.

I don't think you will have any issues if it floats or moves around.
I never worried about it moving around when stirring. It works just fine no matter where it is in the mash on my tun.

A stainless steel butter knife would probably fit in the braid if you want to weigh it down.

thanks I thought about the brass plug sort of thing but the end is already crimped shut. I guess I could un-crimp and plug it and then put a clip on to hold the plug in. I am also thinking of a nice heavy flat SS washer on the end looped through the end of the braid, or just doing nothing like some have said.

Back