Weighing Down Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteEagle1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Wanted to check peoples opinions..... When dry hopping with pellets in a mesh bag, do most of you weigh the bag down so it stays on the bottom? Or just toss it in and let it float around? Thanks!

I used to use sterilized glass marbles in my mesh bag, but recently I just get lazy and dump them in loose. Swirl the carboy every so often and they usually sink after 6 or 7 days. Crash cooling helps them to drop, too.

It was always a pain getting that bag out of the carboy, that's why I ended up going lazy.

Found you need a ton of marbles to weigh the bag down...there are other options....dry hopping this weekend...likely toss in the bag and leave it...it will saturate and blend on its own without the extra effort.

My $0.02.

If its going into you fermentor I wouldnt even use a bag. I only use a primary and then dry hop in the keg so i boil one of my stainless fittings and drop in the bag.

I put a microgear hose clamp around the poppet boss on the bottom of the keg lid. I fashioned a stainless hook clamped behind the clamp. I hang a nylon mesh bag filled with the pellet hops from the hook. I can remove them from the keg by simply pulling the lid off and removing them. If I drink it quick enough the bag ends up hanging harmlessly over the remaining beer. I don't weight them down.

Back