Weekend Paint Booth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerber

Reaction score
This is a quick, cheap, and effective way to get a (mostly) blemish-free finish on your spray paint without worrying about over-spray. Inspired by the inflatable planetariums of my childhood, I've put together a simple, weekend paint booth.

YrkWd.jpg

RR4kk.jpg

The support frame consists of 7ft 1x3 boards with angle brackets in the corners and tension cords. The corners are suspended from the garage door track braces. With this configuration, the frame does not interfere with the garage door operation.

THvie.jpg

I013b.jpg

Two 20ftx10ft painter drop sheets were used to enclose it. The first sheet was wrapped around 3 of the sides. The second sheet was pinned to the frame ceiling, then hung over the 4th side.

LyyAA.jpg

The bottom edges of the drop cloths were tucked under the perimeter of the cardboard floor, then clipped.

Kz4U4.jpg

Luckily, the hardware store had a $4 coarse filter perfect for the job. Thoroughly strapped and clipped in, it provides a flow of clean air. There is more than enough circulation to keep the space free of fumes and airborne paint.

C26N3.jpg

What must the neighbors think?

K7CvD.jpg

The seam on the left side is used to enter the room. It's surprisingly easy to get an good seal with a few clips.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away. This was a first hand example of necessity being the mother of invention.

We do something similar with a plastic paint booth when we are painting/priming our cars. Great idea with the filter and fan, I'll have to try that sometime!

At first, I thought this was a giant fermentation chamber.

Looks good tho

what are you painting?

I have been thinking about getting a cheap sprayer from harbor freight for the quick paint jobs.

As a professional painter (bout 12 years total) I have to say I find it VERY hard to believe that is "blemish free", at least on a consistent basis. I mean it's better than nothing, and at least you used a fan.

Doesn't the fan blowing in screw up your spray pattern?
The fan is large enough that on it's lowest setting it moves a fair amount of air without making it too breezy. After doing primer and paint coats, I didn't notice any problems

I have to say I find it VERY hard to believe that is "blemish free"
Ok. It might have been mostly blemish-free, but I was honestly surprised at how well it worked. While it's certainly not going to give the results of a pro setup, the payoff/effort ratio is great.

Back