Week old starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottD13

Reaction score
I was supposed to brew last weekend but it didn't happen. I let the starter finish out and after a few days I put it in the fridge. Now I'm brewing on Sunday and the starter is now 10 days old.

I was thinking to pour off the liquid, let it warm up and add another 1L of starter wort on Saturday night.

Anyone have experience with something like this?

back when I used liquid yeast more often, I would make starters a full week prior to brewing. they would ferment completely, and then i would just leave them at room temp until the day I brewed. never even put them in the fridge.

You can probably just let it warm up, decant, and pitch. But, adding more starter wort probably won't really hurt anything.

Once you make a starter it will keep for a couple of weeks with no ill effects. Depending on the yeast and its health you can go a little longer. It will be fine as is.

Agreed. If you want, you could put a little more in there for the yeast, but it isn't necessary.

Just did the same, decanted the week + old refrigerated starter and dumped it into 10 gallons of APA. Fermentation was going within a few hours and finished off quickly. You really don't even need to let it warm up as many brewers just pitch cold starters into wort.

I just let it warm up, decanted 90% of the liquid, shook it up good to get it back into suspension and pitched it....2 days later and it's ripping along. Thanks everyone!

Back