Wee Heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jettaman

Reaction score
I tasted a Wee Heavy for the first time yesterday. Pure bliss! Does anyone have a recipe for one? I searched the site but didn't turn up anything.

heres a recipe out of BYO you can try:)
Groundskeeper Willie’s Wee Heavy
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.100 FG = 1.030
IBU = 22 SRM = 14+ ABV = 9.0%

Ingredients
12.75 lbs. (5.8 kg) Alexander’s Pale liquid malt extract
3.0 lbs. (9.1 kg) Simpson’s Golden Promise malt
3.0 oz. (85 g) crystal malt (60 °L)
0.75 oz. (21 g) roasted barley (300 °L)
6 AAU First Gold hops (60 min)
(0.8 oz./23 g of 7.5% alpha acids)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
1/4 tsp yeast nutrient (15 mins)
Wyeast 1728 (Scottish Ale) or White
Labs WLP028 (Edinburgh Ale)
yeast (4 qt./~4 L yeast starter)
0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Steep crushed grains for 45 minutes at 158 °F (70 °C) in 1.2 gallons (4.6 L) of water. Add water to “grain tea” to make 3 gallons (11 L) of wort. Add about 5 lbs. (2.3 kg) of malt extract to wort and bring to a boil. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at beginning of the boil. Add Irish moss and yeast nutrients with 15 minutes left in boil. Add remainder of liquid malt extract at end of boil and let steep 15 minutes before cooling. Ferment at 62 °F (17 °C).

PerfectBrewing.com (in Chicago burbs) has a good kit for a Wee Heavy tribute to a local microbrewery favorite. I've made it twice now and it's lip-smackin' good every time. 11% ABV! :rockin:

Scroll down to the Mickey Finn's Wee Heavy on the middle of the page.
click

The description from the site:
Mickey Finn's Wee Heavy
9.9 Pounds of Extract???? I think "Wee Heavy" is describing your eyelids after you drink a glass. This Scottish ale is high in alcohol content, but maintains a great flavor. Also includes Smoked malt, Carapils malt, roasted barley, Kent Goldings Hops and Wyeast Activator Pack, Ggain bag, priming sugar, everything to make a Scottish Ale. Another recipe from brewmaster Greg Browne, paying homage their liquid version of an 800 pound gorilla.

skifast1 said:
PerfectBrewing.com (in Chicago burbs) has a good kit for a Wee Heavy tribute to a local microbrewery favorite. I've made it twice now and it's lip-smackin' good every time. 11% ABV! :rockin:

Scroll down to the Mickey Finn's Wee Heavy on the middle of the page.
click

The description from the site:
Mickey Finn's Wee Heavy
9.9 Pounds of Extract???? I think "Wee Heavy" is describing your eyelids after you drink a glass. This Scottish ale is high in alcohol content, but maintains a great flavor. Also includes Smoked malt, Carapils malt, roasted barley, Kent Goldings Hops and Wyeast Activator Pack, Ggain bag, priming sugar, everything to make a Scottish Ale. Another recipe from brewmaster Greg Browne, paying homage their liquid version of an 800 pound gorilla.

Sweet - never knew the site existed for one AND they're putting a Mickey Finn's RIGHT down the street from my house! Looks like I'll finally have a decent place to hang out!!!

Here's my recipe, in case you're interested. It's only about 7% ABV, but it's darn tasty. When we made it, we peat-smoked our own 2-row malt, but Perfect Brewing (that's where I get my stuff as well) has peated malt back in stock now. Also, we used 1/2 a pound, but it's a little too smoky (still damn tasty, but I'd prefer a little less smoke).

5.5 lb. Pale Liquid Extract (you could always go with a full 6.6 lbs, and up the ABV by about 1%)
3.3 lb. Amber Liquid Extract
1 lb. Caramel 40L
.5 lb. Cara-pils
.5 lb. Biscuit Malt
.25 lb. Peat-Smoked Malt
1/8 lb. Black Patent

1 oz. Kent Golding 5.0% AA at start of boil
1 pckg Wyeast Labs #1728 Scottish Ale Yeast

Partial mash with 90 minute boil. I took approx. 1 qt of first runnings and boiled them separately for about the first 45 minutes of the boil in order to caramelize the sugars, then added back to the pot. A very nice malty brew, the smoke balances the sweetness nicely, with just a little help from the hops and black patent, both of which are decidedly in the background.

Edit: forgot the cara-pils. Also, it occurs to me that this was the only partial mash I've done that really didn't have anywhere near the diastatic power to convert any starches (I didn't know that at the time we brewed this one). I probably should have just gone with 3.3 lbs. of Pale Extract, and made up the additional 2 lbs. with like 2.5 or 3 lbs. of 2-row. Will do that next time.

Hi,

Brewed a scotch Ale back in October (via extract with Grains). It's been in the bottle for a good 3-4 weeks, but I find it still a bit sharp and sweet.
Do you think it's ruined or should I just give it more time in the bottle?

Thanks
J

jaymack said:
Hi,

Brewed a scotch Ale back in October (via extract with Grains). It's been in the bottle for a good 3-4 weeks, but I find it still a bit sharp and sweet.
Do you think it's ruined or should I just give it more time in the bottle?

Thanks
J

I'd definitely give it more time. High alcohol beers can take months (or even years in the case of barleywine) to fully develop. My reaction to the inital taste of my first batch of Wee Heavy was certainly less than overwhelming. Like you, I found it a little on the sweet side and just 'too much'. 2 months later it was much smoother and tasted fantastic. I'm just now starting to drink my second batch, and that was brewed in early September. If the sweetness persists I'd check your FG to see whether you got a complete fermentation; I've only done single pitches but I know other folks will pitch a second time to get every little bit of fermentation. :mug:

Back