Wee heavy questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradTheGeek

Reaction score
Hello all and things in advance for reading and help. I am planning for my 3rd batch. I am going to attempt a wee heavy. I am starting off with a Brewers Best Scottish Ale Kit that has the following:
4oz Choc. Malt
4oz 60L Caramalt
4oz Smoked malt
1oz roasted malt
1lb Sparkling Amber DME
3.3lb Amber LME
.5oz Northern Brewer hops
.5oz Willamette hops

To increase the gravity of this, and make it more wee heavy like I plan on adding:
6.6 lbs Golden Light LME
1.5 lbs Amber DME

I am a hop head, but this is not a hoppy style. I want the malt complexity with perhaps some chocolate/toffee/coffee notes. Am I on the right track?
I do not want to spend a bunch more at the brew store on this one, but also in my inventory are the following:
8oz pale chocolate malt
1lb smoked malt
1lb 90L caramalt
4lb flaked oats
3-4lbs of dextrose
a bit more amber DME
1oz Warrior hops

Any input is more than welcome!

That sounds like the amount of LME that I use in my Heffeweizen. It comes out with a good mouth feel but will require 2-4 weeks of aging for it to develop fully (at least mine does). If you want to stress the coffee notes, then 2 more oz of chocolate malt, and about 3 oz of the caramalt for the entire boil time should help.

I'm in canada so I tend to use metric values, but for half the LME for a light stout, I use 200g caramalt and 200g chocolate malt (along with 300g of vienna and roasted malt). it's 28g per oz so around 7oz of each.

I prefer hoppier beers as well, but for that much sweetness I would add at least .5oz more hops to the full boil to bitter it a bit more. I use 2 oz in a Guinness clone that's only about 2/3 that strong and it comes out just right for me. I will add that I use fuggles and goldings hops so they are simmilar to the Willamette. I'm not sure how much stronger northern brewer or warior hops are so be careful to compare their alpha acid values online (that's the bittering agent)

hope I was some help!

Latest posts

Back