Wee Heavy extract recipe recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueVassar

Reaction score
I would like to brew a Wee Heavy as my second batch. I don't mind steeping grains but want to keep it fairly simple (or at least likely to succeed). I've found some recipes but can't find any comparisons so wondered what you all thought.

Groundskeeper Willie's Wee Heavy - looks like a number of things but alright if I switch to extract. I also assume the 9.1kg of malt is a typo ;)

Here's from another board:
While I like my "Skullsplitter" recipe, I find I have gravitated more towards the simple recipe as far as Wee Heavy goes. It is amazing a recipe so simple can turn out so well.

The recipe I brew the most, and is actually the basis for most of my Scottish Ale recipes, is as follows:

99% Pale Malt (preferably Golden Promise)
1% Chocolate Malt

One hop addition at 60 minutes to obtain a .30 BU/GU ratio.

I also boil down first runnings.

I ferment with 1728 at 60F or below.

I have used WLP 028 Edinburgh, but I find it needs a warmer ferment.

Skot was a big help in helping me find "the path to the happy hunting grounds" on this style.

or this kit which looks good but would involve waiting for it to arrive, etc so I would prefer to buy similar ingredients...

20th Anniversary Ale - Scottish Wee Heavy - Malt is KING in Scottish Ales and this one is no exception. Rich copper color with a smooth, slightly smoky, complex malt flavor. Hints of caramel that are developed by an extended boil are allied with classic hops from the U. K. The authentic liquid Scottish Ale yeast (included) really accents the flavors. Higher in alcohol, this is sure to please the patient connoisseur. Celebrate 20 years with us by raising a toast with this outstanding Scottish Ale.

Any thoughts which can include recommending I shy away until I have a few other batches under my belt? Thanks!

I'm willing to recommend you shy away. The wee heavy , barleywine, big beer style can mean you end up sitting on a 5 gallon batch of beer for over a year before its really really really good to drink.

IPA's , Porters, Nut Browns, West Coasts, Scottish Sessions are examples of a few other English styles , with American counterparts - (usually hops) that brew well in the extract realm and can be done in the 3-7% alcohol range. That range will mean your beer should be ready to drink within two - three months of brewing. The 8-11% alcohol content of a wee heavy could have you waiting 6-12 months to find out if your second batch was any good.

Also, when brewing a high gravity beer you are going to need some more yeast. Over about 1.065 you should definitely start looking at a starter, or a yeast cake. The Strong Scotch Ale Style of 1.070-1.130 needs a larger starter or cake or you risk yeast death before your sugar is converted.

You might brew a session beer this time, at a 4% ABV, wait until two days after primary fermentation is complete and rack into a secondary or bottles, and then pitch your wee heavy or 7.5% IPA directly onto the yeast cake in the bottom of the primary. You will have much more success and better tasting beer. Depending on what you are fermenting in, and how you harvest your own yeast, you can probably reuse your cake a minimum of 3 times.

An extract recipe for a Red IPA might look something like this:

Extract
6.5 lb pale dry extract
Mini-Mash
5lb Munich
.75 lb Crystal 20
.5 lb Crystal 80
2.0 oz black patent

1.25 oz Amarillo (9%) 60min
1.25 oz Amarillo (9%) 30min
2.0 oz Goldings (5%) 5min

You should be able to expect a 5.5 - 6% ABV and if you use a simple WLP 001 yeast it will clear and be ready to drink in 2-3 months.

Good Luck brewing
~J~

That sounds really good. Do I have to brew the second batch the same day as I bottle the first? I think I'm going to try this recipe too since I love IPAs and would like to try a different one.

Don't forget the other Scottish ales! I tried a Northern Brewer 70/- (70 shilling) ale recipe from extract at a friend's place, and loved it! I picked it up for myself recently, but haven't had time to brew it yet.

What the heck does 70/- mean, anyway? Read up on Wikipedia for more info.

Thanks. I'm a fan of the stronger ones. I've felt let down when I've tried a couple of the weaker scottish ales in the past but maybe that was the particular brew as opposed to the style. I like most IPAs even though there's such a range of flavors but I'm fairly particular about brown and scottish ales.

Back