Wedding Wheat - What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentk14

Reaction score
My parents have volunteered my services at their friends wedding at the end of may....I'll be cooking (brisket and pulled pork) as well as making a beer or two for this wedding. We decided to do the american wheat that I have been making for a few years, based on Widmer's Hef, but I want to change up the hops a bit to get more lemon citrus out of it. Instead of cascade, I was planning on using Lemondrop, and I'll add Amarillo as well. What do you think of this recipe so far? Any critique is appreciated.

American Wheat - 11 gal (70% efficiency)
OG - 1.054
IBU - 32ish
SRM - 5-6

44% 2 row
44% Wheat
10% Munich 10
2% Crystal 40

1 oz Nugget 60 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min
1 oz Lemondrop 5 min
1 oz Willamette 5 min
1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 3 days
2 oz Lemondrop Dry Hop 3 days
1 oz Willamette Dry Hop 3 days

I am thinking amarillo and lemondrop will overwhelm the willamatte, but I'd like to get a little earthy spicy out of it. What are your thoughts?

So how hoppy do you intend to make this wheat? You're basically making an IPA. I kinda assumed by American wheat you meant something a little more in line with a hefe.

You could replace the Crystal with Caramunich. I would dial the hops back in both the boil and the dry hop, probably get rid off the Willamette. And if you want some lemon in the beer just add a hint of lemon zest in the end of the boil. A lot easier and cheaper than using more hops. OR do this - the brewery I work at made a Berliner Weiss but double dry-hopped it with just lemon drop hops and it had the best tart, lemon, green tea hop flavor. Delicious! People had no idea the flavor was only hops. If you went that direction, I'd get rid off all the other dry hops and only do lemon drop.

I just bottled up a blonde wheat common (5.2%, ~27IBU) that uses only Lemon Drop hops in the end of the boil. You'll get some lemony character outta them, but if you want a TRUE lemon flavor, just add it.

So how hoppy do you intend to make this wheat? You're basically making an IPA. I kinda assumed by American wheat you meant something a little more in line with a hefe.

You could replace the Crystal with Caramunich. I would dial the hops back in both the boil and the dry hop, probably get rid off the Willamette. And if you want some lemon in the beer just add a hint of lemon zest in the end of the boil. A lot easier and cheaper than using more hops. OR do this - the brewery I work at made a Berliner Weiss but double dry-hopped it with just lemon drop hops and it had the best tart, lemon, green tea hop flavor. Delicious! People had no idea the flavor was only hops. If you went that direction, I'd get rid off all the other dry hops and only do lemon drop.

I just bottled up a blonde wheat common (5.2%, ~27IBU) that uses only Lemon Drop hops in the end of the boil. You'll get some lemony character outta them, but if you want a TRUE lemon flavor, just add it.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'll probably go the route that you suggested, and dry hop only with Lemon Drop. I don't want to take the place of the lemon, but just to add the aroma a bit. Since it will be served at a wedding, I was trying to have something drinkable, where most people wouldn't need to add something.
That Berliner Weiss sounds amazing by the way.

I'd go with somewhere between 50-60% wheat and either drop or double your C40, depending whether you want crystal malt character or not. As others say too, I might tame the hopping a bit if you're going for mass appeal. Perhaps around 25 IBUs and just a light dry hopping (maybe 1-2 oz in your 11 gallons).

My parents have volunteered my services at their friends wedding at the end of may....I'll be cooking (brisket and pulled pork) as well as making a beer or two for this wedding. We decided to do the american wheat that I have been making for a few years, based on Widmer's Hef, but I want to change up the hops a bit to get more lemon citrus out of it. Instead of cascade, I was planning on using Lemondrop, and I'll add Amarillo as well. What do you think of this recipe so far? Any critique is appreciated.

American Wheat - 11 gal (70% efficiency)
OG - 1.054
IBU - 32ish
SRM - 5-6

44% 2 row
44% Wheat
10% Munich 10
2% Crystal 40

1 oz Nugget 60 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min
1 oz Lemondrop 5 min
1 oz Willamette 5 min
1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 3 days
2 oz Lemondrop Dry Hop 3 days
1 oz Willamette Dry Hop 3 days

I am thinking amarillo and lemondrop will overwhelm the willamatte, but I'd like to get a little earthy spicy out of it. What are your thoughts?

That's a really cool thing to do for your friend. I had the pleasure to do that once as well. it was highly rewarding. One thing that I learned from that, was to make beers that act as "gateway" beers. Nothing perceived too extreme to advert the typical bud light drinker. I think you're on the right track with a non-bitter hoppy pale ale.

Lemon drop is a killer hop. You'll really enjoy it. Amarillo will compliment it well. Here's my feedback. Take it as you may:

I'd replace the munich with vienna, lose the crystal malt and let the hops shine. Hop forward beers with lots of crystal/malt are going the way of the dinosaur. However, play to your audience. Its just not for me.

With 44% wheat, you may want to toss in some rice hulls depending on your setup. Its cheap insurance. I'd lose the Willamette and let the amarillo/lemondrop run the show. If you want a little more to the hops, move some nugget to late addition in favor of willamette.

Cheers!

That's a really cool thing to do for your friend. I had the pleasure to do that once as well. it was highly rewarding. One thing that I learned from that, was to make beers that act as "gateway" beers. Nothing perceived too extreme to advert the typical bud light drinker. I think you're on the right track with a non-bitter hoppy pale ale.

Lemon drop is a killer hop. You'll really enjoy it. Amarillo will compliment it well. Here's my feedback. Take it as you may:

I'd replace the munich with vienna, lose the crystal malt and let the hops shine. Hop forward beers with lots of crystal/malt are going the way of the dinosaur. However, play to your audience. Its just not for me.

With 44% wheat, you may want to toss in some rice hulls depending on your setup. Its cheap insurance. I'd lose the Willamette and let the amarillo/lemondrop run the show. If you want a little more to the hops, move some nugget to late addition in favor of willamette.

Cheers!

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it! I will add rice hulls for sure. I do anytime I am worried about running into a stuck mash, so I usually do it too often, but better safe than sorry.
So far, I think I am going to keep the grain bill the same. I've used it a bunch before, and I know what to expect out of it. For the hops, I have decided to scratch the Willamette, and pushed the 5 minute hop additions to flameout. For dry hopping, I am thinking I'll go 2-1 or 3-1 Lemon Drop to Amarillo.

Back