Weak Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelittlepie

Reaction score
Ok, so I just opened a bottle of my very first brew. It was on the borderline of being flat. Its been bottle conditioning for three weeks at about 70˚F.

I used Northern Brewers caribou slobber kit, a brown ale. I'm worried I didn't use enough yeast. The kit sent one packet of Danstar Windsor Ale yeast (11g) for a 5 gallon batch.

I already have my second batch, this time an amber, fermenting and I'm worried this will happen again. I still used one package of yeast for a 5 gallon batch. Should I pitch more yeast? Just leave it alone? Its been a slow fermentation for about two weeks now.

Give it some more time. Try inverting the bottles to get the yeast back into suspension, and you could move them somewhere warmer. Did you stir in the priming solution into the beer thoroughly?

I made the same recipe, same yeast, and it tasted better the longer it sat. The last one was the best, and as that point it had been in the bottle for roughly 10 weeks.

1 packet of dry yeast is usually enough for a med-low gravity ale.

Did you refrigerate it for a couple days? That helps the carbonation go into solution.

Also, we've had some bottles that are less carbonated than others in the same batch. So don't give up after the first bottle. Stick a couple in the fridge and let them hang out a couple days, then try another one and see.

I agree with "tincture of time" here too - sometimes they just need a little more time!

Back