We NO Need NO stinking Temp Controller! Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Allright, I wasn't going to post the craig'slist SCORE thread, but I have a legit question.

I went to look at this freezer for $50 on c-list.

Looked great, Bad Girl was at -1 degree F!

She had me at 15.4 Cubic FEET!!!!!

Beautiful.

So, I get her home and plugged in. Failed to order the johnson (got distracted by metroid other M) but did get her adjusted to "warmest" (7, I think)

Next day, she is at 57F................

She hits -1, so it's not like she is losing her touch.

Can I get away with this?

I turned it to 6 or so, and she dropped to 45. I am confident that I can get her where I want her.

The lady plugged her in when I said I was coming to look at it. 6 hrs later -1F

It had been unplugged for at least 6 months, but possibly much longer. (previous owner of house)

Will this bad girl suddenly get really warmed up and freeze my **** w/zero warning?

Is a frozen (likely ruined) batch (And possibly busted kegs / fermenters) worth gambling against? When the solution is less than the cost of that equipment and beer?

Get a temp controller. You'll be happier if you know whats going on, and consistency is key.

When they sit for a week or longer all of the coolant will fall into the compressor.
So when you start it up, it will work like a brand new freezer.

You will need to test it at continuous usage for a few weeks to see if it is consistent.
If it is consistent, I don't see any problems with the internal controller.
See this thread for more info:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

That is what I thought...and knew.....guess I just needed to hear it.

is that a sign that it is crapping out do you think?

When they sit for a week or longer all of the coolant will fall into the compressor.
So when you start it up, it will work like a brand new freezer.

You will need to test it at continuous usage for a few weeks to see if it is consistent.
If it is consistent, I don't see any problems with the internal controller.
See this thread for more info:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

Sorry! We were posting simultaneously.

Great info, thanks for the link.

Went home at lunch, and my minor adjustment to the colder, resulted in it being -4F.....

Definitely some uncontrollable risks there. Johnson on it's way.

The mechanical thermostat is not reliable on that freezer; one day it decided to go 57F instead of freezing so the previous owner quit using it. That is why you got such a good deal with it.

When your external comes in, remove the mechanical thermostat or bypass it with a jumper so it doesn't cause you harm down the road.

Meh. Just set the damned freezer to Absolute Zero and let your Johnson handle it...

[And y'all can have as much fun with the above as you want ;) ]

Cheers!

The mechanical thermostat is not reliable on that freezer; one day it decided to go 57F instead of freezing so the previous owner quit using it. That is why you got such a good deal with it.

When your external comes in, remove the mechanical thermostat or bypass it with a jumper so it doesn't cause you harm down the road.

Interesting. I will consider it. Thanks for the diagnosis!

Meh. Just set the damned freezer to Absolute Zero and let your Johnson handle it...

[And y'all can have as much fun with the above as you want ;) ]

Cheers!

I guess this seems OK. Worst case it jumps to 57F, that won't exactly ruin any beer, and I can always decide to jump it then.

Go with the LOVE controller a lot more accurate and cheaper. :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

dammitdammitdammitdammit......;)

:mug: already paid for and shipped.

Back