We Have a Project - PACMAN YEAST!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dearly love Rogue's Shakespeare Stout, but I wanted to try a PacMan imperial first. I pitched a "seat of your pants" hi-grav oatmeal stout on 12/27. It started at .082 and was down to .025 when I moved it to the secondary today. Can't wait to try it, but I plan to leave it in the secondary a good long time to let it clear. I included some chopped dates, and they make it pretty murky... I call it Imperial Quaker. By the way, I've never used Palisades hops- anyone familiar with it?

'Imperial Quaker' Oatmeal Stout
Oats Flaked 1.0 lb.
English Chocolate Malt 1 lb
Roasted Barley .5 lb
Flaked Barley .5 lb.
Dextrine Malt .5 lb.
Weyermann Carafa II .75 lb.
Weyermann Melanoidin .5 lb.
Muntons Amber DME 3.0 lb.
Muntons Dark DME 3.0 lb.
Dark Brown Sugar 1.0 lb.
Honey 2.0 lb.
Molasses unsulfered blackstrap .75 lb.
6 oz. chopped dates added w/ boiling hops
1 t. irish moss w/ second hops addition
1.0 oz. Palisades (Whole, 9.20 %) 60 min.
1.0 oz. Palisades (Whole, 9.2 %) 30 min.
0.5 oz. Amarillo (Whole, 8.50 %) 5 min.
0.5 oz. Amarillo (Whole, 8.50 %) 1 min.

12/27: SG 82 (wish I'd checked it on the 28th & 29th!)
12/30: SG 42
12/31: SG 32
01/01: SG 25 racked to secondary.

I was just at Rogue this weekend, one of the fermenters we walked by was blowing off into a 50gal garbage can, krusen was going everywhere and the damn thing was bubbling like a fire hose. Pacman yeast is agressive stuff I think I'll be harvesting off a juniper pale ale tonight. :)

I was just at Rogue this weekend, one of the fermenters we walked by was blowing off into a 50gal garbage can, krusen was going everywhere and the damn thing was bubbling like a fire hose. Pacman yeast is agressive stuff I think I'll be harvesting off a juniper pale ale tonight. :)

My LHBS had it in stock about a month ago. are you not able to find any?

You hadda go an bump an ancient thread...LOL

There's a couple recent Pacman Harvesting threads from a few weeks back. One of them with a nifty video...

I'm on my third harvest of it...and I got a bomber of stout in the fridge that will be a fourth.

So you mean you walked by a 50 gallon garbage can of pacman at high krausen and didn't think of asking for a waterbottle full, or at least scoop a bunch into your pockets???....MAN, what a missed opportunity!

I would have snatched the garbage can up and taken off running! :D

Originally posted by farmbrewernw
Pacman yeast is agressive stuff I think I'll be harvesting off a juniper pale ale tonight.

You must have been at the Brewer's Memorial Beer Fest. Sorry I missed it this year.

You should've just asked John for a slurry to take home with you. He's always been great about sharing yeast and other ingredients. I usually pick up Pacman yeast myself from Rogue Issaquah Brewhouse.

Yeah I thought about scooping up some of the slurry but to be honest I was pretty druk, I was at the Brewer fest and yes it was awesome. I do make it to Rogue at least a few times a year so I'm pretty sure I'll just have to get some next time. I like the challenge of harvesting from the bottle though so I'm going to give it a shot. Sorry about revamping the old thread but you all know you like it ;)

Racked my barleywine to 2nd last night. Got a FULL gallon BUM-JUG COMPLETELY FULL of ROGUE PACMAN yeast!!! I am almost more excited about that than the beer in the 2nd... LOL!!!!:ban: go figure... hehehhe

It isn't generally recommended to harvest yeast from a really high alcohol beer. The yeasties will be all partied out (a lot of that yeast cake will be dead yeast that will never do anything for you.) That said, the yeast you get that are still living will be some alcohol tolerant sons-of-bitches.
From my understanding it's best to go from low alcohol batches to high alcohol batches if you're reusing yeast cakes and then retiring the hard working yeast after the high alcohol batches.

It isn't generally recommended to harvest yeast from a really high alcohol beer. The yeasties will be all partied out (a lot of that yeast cake will be dead yeast that will never do anything for you.) That said, the yeast you get that are still living will be some alcohol tolerant sons-of-bitches.
From my understanding it's best to go from low alcohol batches to high alcohol batches if you're reusing yeast cakes and then retiring the hard working yeast after the high alcohol batches.

Fyi that was posted over 4 years ago

and pacman is the Bomb love this yeast

I really thought that a post on the Pacman yeast would have more then 88 posts in the 4 yeas since this thread started.

Back